Cleaner Shrimp stuck mid-molt, can I help?

  • Thread starter Thread starter dopey
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

dopey

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Feb 24, 2018
Messages
284
Reaction score
287
Location
Sweden
What state or country do you live in
Other International
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Woke up to find him like this:
IMG_20180520_082224_101.jpg

I removed the plug(it wasn't glued), assuming he was dead. But when I grabbed him, he sprung to life.

Since then he's floated around the tank to the current some. But also wedged himself in other places.

It *does* look like he's making progress on shedding his old skin. It was initially smashed against his head, and now has a gap. So it does seem to be progressing.

Is there any assistance I can do besides keeping him 'safe' and letting him do the work? Would me trying to remove the skin likely cause more harm?

he has molted 3 or so times since i've had him without issue. The coral he was found wedged under is 'new', so perhaps this was his goto place for shedding, and simply got himself stuck? Or perhaps I shouldn't of moved the plug this morning?

any advice welcome..

Even the acan started eating him..
IMG_20180520_105854_910.jpg

I've just been watching him and if he's in a 'bad' spot i move him..

There is no fish in the tank, just a crab and corals. My hope is keeping him away from the crab, and not trapped by any of the corals is best I can do?
 
The molt is extremely stressful so I would just leave him be and let nature take over.

If you really need to intercede than a critter carrier placed in the tank is probably the way to go.
 
It didn't make it.

It proceedingly lost energy till nothing.

Who knows how long it was stuck under the plug
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH FLOW PROBLEM IS HARDEST TO SOLVE IN YOUR REEF?

  • Eliminating dead spots

    Votes: 9 23.1%
  • Keeping sand from blowing around

    Votes: 5 12.8%
  • Balancing flow for different coral types

    Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Creating random or turbulent movement

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Finding effective pump placement

    Votes: 1 2.6%
  • Managing noise or vibration

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • Keeping pumps hidden and accessible

    Votes: 2 5.1%
  • I still feel like I’m mostly guessing

    Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Other (Comment in the thread)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new