Cleaner shrimps where 55$ where I live in 2020… now they are 30$ today. What caused the price decrease?

rusty shackleford yes

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Jan 22, 2025
Messages
196
Reaction score
182
Location
austin
What state or country do you live in
Texas
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I recently bought a skunk cleaner shrimp for 30$ at Petco. Which is INSANE because my family bought one years ago for 55$… what caused the decrease in price? My theory is a lack of demand where I live. I live pretty far inland too, maybe there’s more breeders around?
 
Yeah most of them here are $50 now. I used to get them for $15 but I am over a half century old now too. lol
Like the mythical $25 yellow tangs of decades ago. I didn’t even want one back then lol
 
I recently bought a skunk cleaner shrimp for 30$ at Petco. Which is INSANE because my family bought one years ago for 55$… what caused the decrease in price? My theory is a lack of demand where I live. I live pretty far inland too, maybe there’s more breeders around?
Import prices and shipping methods
 
maybe there’s more breeders around
I'm under the impression that this species isn't captively produced in commercial numbers.

Looks like lots of etailers are running sales on them right now, so collection numbers are apparently up temporarily. Petco uses loss leader tactics, too, so I wouldn't rule out that as a partial cause.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT DO YOU USUALLY CHECK FIRST WHEN YOU LOOK AT YOUR REEF?

  • A particular fish I enjoy watching

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • The fish population—making sure everyone is accounted for

    Votes: 4 15.4%
  • Coral extension, color, or growth

    Votes: 12 46.2%
  • Recent additions or other changes

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Water clarity or the surface

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Equipment and water movement

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • Signs of algae, pests, or trouble

    Votes: 1 3.8%
  • I just enjoy the whole scene

    Votes: 3 11.5%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 2 7.7%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new