Cleaner Wrasse vs Cleaner Shrimp. Both?

Hugh Mann

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding some stock to the aquarium fairly soon and definitely need a good cleaner. However, I’m not entirely sure which one I should go for.

I understand there’s pros and cons to both, like the wrasse are jumpers, can be fairly sensitive and don’t always take to prepared foods. Can also be too aggressive in its cleaning to the point of harassment. I had one in my original tank, ate prepared foods just fine and was a general good citizen until it opted to go cement surfing through the one wrasse sized hole in the lid.

Meanwhile the shrimp can steal food from corals/anemones (don’t have any), can be subject to predation, and are about 1.5-2x as expensive in my area. I’ve also never kept a shrimp before, but they seem to be not much different in terms of requirements than other inverts. My only major concern is my white eye moray eel eating a $28 shrimp. But it is also my understanding that predators can and will leave them alone as part of their service package. Seen more than a few tanks with eels and skunk shrimp without the eels having a good ol’ shrimp barbecue.

Would there be any point in having two cleaners, or is that too many? My tank is 260 gallons and after this round of stocking will have about 17 inhabitants of various species after this round of stocking. 23 when fully stocked with the current plan.

So, yeah. Just wondering if folks have any input on the subject I just raised. Thanks.

xiongsy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
260 gallons? Get both and more. They won't take up space. Have your lfs show the wrasse eating and all should be good.

secret_reefer337

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my 210 gal, I have cleaner wrasse and two cleaner shrimps. The shrimps are mainly decoration in my tank, they will try to clean once in a while but my wrasse is the busiest one. But tale note that I have 4 matured tangs and tons of other fish to clean.

On the side note, my cleaner wrasse have learned eating frozen foods and nibbles on pellets too, so aside from what it gets from cleaning is being supplemented with what it gets from the fish food.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 29 37.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 26.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 6.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.3%
Back