Cleaning/Drying Cuvettes

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant any testing vial but I would think the Hanna colormeters are most sensitive to clean cuvettes and I guess any calcium/alk test too since you could have left over residue.

For the plastic vials associated with the Salifert tests, I just rinse them with tap water, rinse them with RODI, then shake them out. They're disposable, and you're not relying on their optical properties for the accuracy of the test, so build-up really isn't much of a concern (within reason, of course).

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The reason you'd do this is that there are some potential residues that will not easily be removed immediately, and long term soaking in RODI will. In the lab at work, we've lots of materials available to remove virtually anything from glassware, including chromic acid. But that's not exactly something that your average reefer would have (or should have) at home.

Again, I do not.:)

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I meant any testing vial but I would think the Hanna colormeters are most sensitive to clean cuvettes and I guess any calcium/alk test too since you could have left over residue.

I have found that using new syringes and tips, really keep your testing more accurate besides a clean test vial. Myself, I use 10ml and 20ml beakers with a magnetic stirrer for most of my tests as I do here link

tdlawdo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse with tap, then fill with RODI and shake. I then empty and shake the tube like it is on fire while my family stares at me in the kitchen thinking I am crazy... :). Then they go on a drying rack like this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRJ3HPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wJfVCb5CZWN5Y

I also clean my drawing syringe, my graduated cylinders, etc that I used with RODI. I know it might be overkill.

It takes me longer to prep and clean than it does to actually test. I heard there is this mystical being called the Trident that should one day take this all away! One should hope....

Ditto

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I'm lazy - I rinse with tap H20 - shake to dry - when I take a sample - I Rinse it with tank water 2-3 times. Any residual 'stuff' left in is probably within the variation of measurement itself. That said - I try to get as much of the sample out by rinsing with Tap water as possible.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I run them in the dishwasher with a high heat cycle to sanitize the cuvettes then rinse the cuvettes with distilled water before I test.

The cuvettes are made of glass and soaking them in RO/DI or anything else does not make sense. In a lab one would clean and sanitize. Dish washer and to get rid of any residue and cautionary rinse of distilled water.
In a lab one would do that. However, if the manufacturer doesnt recommend those procedures I don't do it - but like I said - I am lazy.

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In a lab one would do that. However, if the manufacturer doesnt recommend those procedures I don't do it - but like I said - I am lazy.

Very true, :D

The manufacture states to basically rinse with Distilled water and us there cleaning solution$$:eek::D. I will say that I am a hobbyist, and have had a couple of chemistry classes. One of the things that most intrigued me was that all the pipes in one of the labs that I had a class in, were all Pyrex glass, the teacher/professor did mention that event the glass will ware over time from the pure water leaching ions from the glass.

Since I do not have a nomenclature for sterilizing, I figure the dish washer is the next best thing.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Very true, :D

The manufacture states to basically rinse with Distilled water and us there cleaning solution$$:eek::D. I will say that I am a hobbyist, and have had a couple of chemistry classes. One of the things that most intrigued me was that all the pipes in one of the labs that I had a class in, were all Pyrex glass, the teacher/professor did mention that event the glass will ware over time from the pure water leaching ions from the glass.

Since I do not have a nomenclature for sterilizing, I figure the dish washer is the next best thing.
OH - ok the tests I use dont recommend that - just rinsing. But (heresy alert - I use API - with no problems - of which I'm aware):)..

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very true, [emoji1]

The manufacture states to basically rinse with Distilled water and us there cleaning solution$$[emoji33]:D. I will say that I am a hobbyist, and have had a couple of chemistry classes. One of the things that most intrigued me was that all the pipes in one of the labs that I had a class in, were all Pyrex glass, the teacher/professor did mention that event the glass will ware over time from the pure water leaching ions from the glass.

Corroding of glass in pure water is a total nonissue. While technically correct, it’s not ever going to be detectable on the glass clarity even with great instruments.

However, very high pH (14+) will dissolve glass. So do not use sodium hydroxide unless absolutely necessary.

Last edited:

jsker

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corroding of glass with pure water is a total nonissue. While technically correct, it’s not ever going to be detectable on the glass clarity even with great instruments.

However, very high pH (14+) will dissolve glass. So do not use sodium hydroxide unless absolutely necessary.

Very good to know and kind of my point. glass once rinsed should do the trick for cleaning and not soaking.? Thank you Randy for chiming in:)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very good to know and kind of my point. glass once rinsed should do the trick for cleaning and not soaking.? Thank you Randy for chiming in:)

What is best does depend on what was in it. Organics deposited might need things like vinegar or isopropanol. Mist of the time, several di rinses should be fine, followed by shaking or gently wiping out the water.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Corroding of glass in pure water is a total nonissue. While technically correct, it’s not ever going to be detectable on the glass clarity even with great instruments.

Yeah, I've run across those sorts of statements before (ultra-pure water will "corrode" glass), and I always get a good chuckle out of it.

Jsker - yes, your professor was technically correct in that you can measure the increase in conductivity of a pure sample of water held in a glass beaker, whether borosilicate or soda lime glass, from the dissolution of various ions from the glass. The part that the professor missed is that you'd need to wait until the end of the universe for enough of the glass to dissolve to actually get a leak, and at least past the Age of the Animals on Earth (approximately the next 200 million years) to visibly see the etching. It does happen, and is of concern if you're manufacturing microelectronics, but it's so slow that it's not a factor for almost any other purpose.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I rinse with water immediately and shake dry

KrisReef

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse my cuvettes with water, a final rinse with DI and then shake them out and then "air dry" in the box.

I don't fill them with DI water to store them because I have been concerned that the lid seals would fail from sitting in water?

Great "boring" topic, @Heavymman, thanks for starting this excellent discussion thread, imo!

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse my cuvettes with water, a final rinse with DI and then shake them out and then "air dry" in the box.

I don't fill them with DI water to store them because I have been concerned that the lid seals would fail from sitting in water?

Great "boring" topic, @Heavymman, thanks for starting this excellent discussion thread, imo!

The lid seals won't fail. They're a type of polymer that won't break down in RODI, at least on any reasonable time scale.

infinite0180

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I rinse with tap and then a quick di rinse. Ive recently started rinsing with tank water right before testing and i feel its a solid move! I just make sure i dont get any tank water on the outside with the hanna ones!

saintsreturn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rinse off with RODI, occasionally hit it with a Qtip and then hang to dry do that the sides to not get scratched. I used to set them on the counter until one got knocked off and shattered. These help a lot too... Keeps the bottles drip drying and the syringes/tips dry as well

upload_2019-4-23_10-38-57.png

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.5%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 91 80.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.4%
Back