Cleaning/Drying Cuvettes

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey Heavy, I rinse in tap then rodi . Always fill the vile with test ware shake it good & discard it . Also wipe out side real well. I have to replaced the viles after a etching or something builds up inside. Iv'e tried the use a Qtip to no avail . I like Brad's way better may try that .

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After the test. Ill fill both up half full with RODI, shake it. Empty the water and flick the curvette with my hand and finger, ( like snapping your index against your middle finger) to drain any excess water. Ill take the corner of microfiber cloth, twist it up (clockwise), and continue twisting until I cram as much of the towel inside the curvette as I can. Once I twist it clockwise, ill go counter, and it will unravel inside and wipe clean just about everything inside. then ill flip them upside down do dry. If its still a little dirty, repeat said steps again. I also have a dedicated cloth just for cleaning my test viles.

AdamNC

Lawnmower Blenny says nom nom
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Before each use I soak each vial in vinegar for a few mins. Empty, wipe with a q-tip, 2-3 RO/DI dips and then shake dry. Fill full with tank water, empty and then use appropriate amount for testing. After use I use tap water then 2-3 RO/DI dips then air dry.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean the Hanna glass cuvettes, I run the test, rinse with tap water, rinse with RODI, then fill the vial with RODI, replace the cap and store them. Purified water is an excellent solvent, especially if given long periods to work. It's rarely necessary, but if I feel like it I might occasionally give them a soak in 0.1N HCl.

Hitman

Reefing One Day @ A Time!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Personally after thorough rinsing after use I fill mine back up with rodi water, then when it's testing time again I rinse them out again with tank water twice then test. Once testing is over I start the same process all over agin.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you mean the Hanna glass cuvettes, I run the test, rinse with tap water, rinse with RODI, then fill the vial with RODI, replace the cap and store them. Purified water is an excellent solvent, especially if given long periods to work. It's rarely necessary, but if I feel like it I might occasionally give them a soak in 0.1N HCl.

I read about this a long time ago, and have been using and storing in this fashion for years. I have 0 scratches on my cuvettes, and 0 stains, yet my cuvettes are about 3 years old. Might be time to replace them. lol

jsker

Reefing is all about the adventure
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them in the dishwasher with a high heat cycle to sanitize the cuvettes then rinse the cuvettes with distilled water before I test.

The cuvettes are made of glass and soaking them in RO/DI or anything else does not make sense. In a lab one would clean and sanitize. Dish washer and to get rid of any residue and cautionary rinse of distilled water.

JCOLE

Grower of the Small Polyps
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Rinse with tap, then fill with RODI and shake. I then empty and shake the tube like it is on fire while my family stares at me in the kitchen thinking I am crazy... :). Then they go on a drying rack like this one
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XRJ3HPW/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_wJfVCb5CZWN5Y

I also clean my drawing syringe, my graduated cylinders, etc that I used with RODI. I know it might be overkill.

It takes me longer to prep and clean than it does to actually test. I heard there is this mystical being called the Trident that should one day take this all away! One should hope....

OP
OP
Heavymman

Heavymman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I meant any testing vial but I would think the Hanna colormeters are most sensitive to clean cuvettes and I guess any calcium/alk test too since you could have left over residue.

Dkeller_nc

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I run them in the dishwasher with a high heat cycle to sanitize the cuvettes then rinse the cuvettes with distilled water before I test.

The cuvettes are made of glass and soaking them in RO/DI or anything else does not make since. In a lab one would clean and sanitize. Dish washer and to get ride on and residue and cautionary rinse of distilled water.

The reason you'd do this is that there are some potential residues that will not easily be removed immediately, and long term soaking in RODI will. In the lab at work, we've lots of materials available to remove virtually anything from glassware, including chromic acid. But that's not exactly something that your average reefer would have (or should have) at home.

Back