SnookNRedZ's Dual 75 Gallon System(1Year Today!)

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With the end of one project (my 17 Gallon Mr. Aqua w/ 20L sump) , spawns the beginning of another one. Ive made a DIY 75 Gallon sump from a used tank on craigslist (I have a thread on how and what I used to make it) that will ultimately be filtering a Reef Ready AGA 75 tank i once again got on craigslist...

Now this entire system probably wont be fully operational for several months. I have a bunch going on at work that will make any free time near zero. So bear with me here... Luckily, i do this kind of thing (sorta) for work. I'm the yard foreman for a company who supplies all of the PGA tours temporary seating and flooring along with NBC and Golf Channel's camera towers. We do everything from golf, nascar, NCAA sports, to corporate meetings and such. So i have all the tools necessary to assure things were secured and not going to move in the Uhaul. instead of scaffold steel, its glass. anywho...

Saturday (10-20-18) I moved about an hour away from where i was currently residing. About a week before this move, i went ahead and got my 75 gallon sump wet and filled with saltwater. I went to WWC (my lfs) and got some marco rock and began curing it, no lights on or anything.

Once i got everything to the new house, i quickly unloaded it, and dropped off the uhaul, and got to acclimating everything to the new temporary tank. All went well, the Radion is still programmed to the schedule i had before, which is nice because i need to borrow a friends computer to set up my Apex and Reef Link.

I put most the rock with coral in the side that will eventually be a Refugium when its all said and done, however right now its my holding tank. I had an aptasia outbreak in my 17 gallon's sump that took off and spread to everywhere. Now that i don't have an overflow, or and PVC to house and "mothers" i can rid the tank of all visible aptasia now, and that should be the end of that... I use the return section as a place to section my clowns off from the peppermint shrimp i bought at WWC yesterday. They are aggressive and have eaten a handful of them already. Made a temporary 2x4 light hanger, and im just using a MJ1200 as the "return" right now. Nothing fancy, but im being patient for the dry rock to seed, the aptasia to go away, and for some time to build the stand and such for this sumps display.

My station of equipment and such next to the tank

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Good luck with the Peppermints. Mine cleared out any remaining Aiptasia after I eradicated some, but once they were gone he became a bit of a jerk. He eventually went after my BTA and I think the anemone finally ate him.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very nice! Good luck with the Peppermints. Mine cleared out any remaining Aiptasia after I eradicated some, but once they were gone he became a bit of a jerk. He eventually went after my BTA and I think the anemone finally ate him.
Thanks Caveman. Ive already noticed a dwindling population of the aptasia from just a few days. Oh wow! thats pretty crazy... I dont foresee that being an issue with me because my clownfish will attack them and kill them, not necessarily "eat" per say, but they definitely dont like them being around... but now that theyre not in a 17 gallon tank, maybe theyll be more lenient with more room.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made some progress on the tank over the Thanksgiving holiday. Everything went smooth, minus I lost my cleaner shrimp sadly. Not sure what happened, an hour before transferring him to the tank he was fine. then once I was ready to move them in. it was dead. Thought he molted and was just finishing up that process, but last night i seen my emerald crap ripping into his body. The fish seem to be doing well. I finished late last night, so i didn't see any of my zoas were alright, but i will tonight. Here are a few photos showing the progress.

1_zpsipsvjvx2.jpg

Between moves, I stored everything from my 17 gallon, in my fuge section of the sump temporarily.
Then drained and moved everything to the 75.
5_zpsfyn7mjmh.jpg

I have some cord management to work on...
7_zpsfrzlncpw.jpg

6_zpsgbjzdbsf.jpg

a G4 Xr15 Pro will light up the left side with the overflow. The right is a G2 XR30. Fuge is a kessil a80
4_zpsavdb55ow.jpg

I dig the marco rocks that WWC had in store. They know me as the rock guy now with how many times ive been in there getting some rock... marco rock, not crack. lol Josh and Joe said they ordered a ton of it. like literally, 2k lbs. craziness. So if you need rock, go there.
8_zpsapfnkr1s.jpg

The stand was built level, i made sure of it. However, catty corner in this location, it was about 1/4" out of level, so heres my shim job. lol I will make it prettier in the future, i just wanna make sure my stands level first. So far everything is working well. The drain is super duper loud, but ill try and tweak it later. Ill have a few more pics tonight with all the coral and rest of my rock in there I had a few more pieces i added after these shots. But thats where this sits. Still need to hook up the fuge and the reactors as well as make a 3" stand for my skimmer.

NY_Caveman

likes words, fish and arbitrary statistics
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why photobucket decided to put that in the photos... it’s never done that before. Guess I need to use Flickr or something...

They just keep going out of their way to make their site worse and worse.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They just keep going out of their way to make their site worse and worse.

No kiddin. It used to be really good. Back in the day when it was one of the only image hosting sites. Now the site has things to be desired. I had issues left and right trying to simply upload the pics. It took me a few attempts. I almost just said screw it. lol

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the fuge plumbed in. Nothing in it yet, but it’s up and running. Works been hellacious, which is delaying me getting my cords and all my controllers mounted and lookin pretty. I did however stop by WWC and picked up a Kole Tang, so there’s that. I got him using my rewards points, which is awesome. I have a good chunk left too, which I’ll put towards either a wrasse or some corals down the line.
75ED1C68-83D6-43EF-8FD7-CB1CBA90A29F.jpeg

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Made a 2x4 “ Central Controller Center” for all my drivers and power strips for the tank. Had some free time at work, so I busted out the mider saw and got to screwing around. I have this mesh material here at work where we wrap our bleachers, grandstands, and tv towers for the PGA tour to hide the scaffold for fans and for the tv audience. I’m gonna cut a scrap black piece and wrap it when it’s all mounted and set. Should look pretty clean once it’s done. I ordered some metal peg board on Amazon that will be the fascia for the equipment to be mounted to.

Ps. I miss having a truck lol.
388578E9-55A9-4A78-8151-BE6C376B3E29.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got the cable 1/2 way sorted today. I also programmed the apex and radions finally. Waiting for a package from amazon to finish the controller center, but I’m pleased with the cable management tracks I got.
269209D5-B6C1-4B50-A15B-BEB9F2670D5E.jpeg

A2153C46-200B-4ADA-89DA-C722A41F79F1.jpeg

I need to grab a 3’ or so extension cable for my return and media reactor pumps tomorrow. Those are those two that are coming out, my eb8 is little too far for it to mount right now. My pegboard will be here manana as well so I should be close to 99% done with everything by tomorrow night. Fingers crossed. I’ll throw pics up as I get done.

OP
OP
SnookNRedZ

SnookNRedZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s roughly 98% done right now, the hard parts over. Now I just need to zip tie wires to better organize it. But everything is working. Took about an hour to do. The bottom section will be for hanging shelves for equipment and perhaps a doser in the future. I dig it. Chose to mount my osmolator unit under the stand instead of on here.
30EB1385-3763-4770-95E3-08409C25E3DF.jpeg
5D34FA44-3EF4-41D2-863B-FD385A6C63DF.jpeg

Aquatic acrobat in your aquarium: Have you ever kept an eel?

• I currently keep an eel in my tank.

Votes: 26 14.1%
  • I have kept an eel in my tank in the past.

Votes: 32 17.4%
  • I have not kept an eel in my tank, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 29 15.8%
  • I have no plans to keep an eel.

Votes: 94 51.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 1.6%
Back