Cleaning equipment after vermetid snails

Doug Junge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have recently shut down my system and am starting over after a vermetid snail infestation. I would like to reuse some of my equipment but do not want to introduce vermetid snails in the new one. I am looking for suggestions on cleaning and sterilizing pumps. Thanks!

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use either Vinegar, Muratic/Citric Acid to clean your parts out.

But I will say this... I am 100% confident that you will have some vermited snails after your tank is set back up.

OP
OP
D

Doug Junge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can use either Vinegar, Muratic/Citric Acid to clean your parts out.

But I will say this... I am 100% confident that you will have some vermited snails after your tank is set back up.
I guess that's why I'm asking. I have a new tank, sump, return pump etc. So in your opinion don't reuse anything?

dank reefer

IG: dankreefer_IG
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I guess that's why I'm asking. I have a new tank, sump, return pump etc. So in your opinion don't reuse anything?
Oh No.... I would reuse all equipment after you clean them out.

What I mean by the last line is that no matter what, I believe 100% that you will get vermited snails, and not by your current equipment, but from being a hitchhiker on new coral that you get.

Do you have a picture of what your tank looked like by the vermited snail infestation?

OP
OP
D

Doug Junge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

What I mean by the last line is that no matter what, I believe 100% that you will get vermited snails, and not by your current equipment, but from being a hitchhiker on new coral that you get.

Do you have a picture of what your tank looked like by the vermited snail infestation?
I don't have a picture. Don't actually want to remember them :) It was bad. Tried everything and am a fanatic about QT, but somehow it happened. Ok, so I don't have to worry about them hitchhiking on pumps? I am getting a Lifereef skimmer and could use my Varios 6 pump to run it. Every use bleach?

OP
OP
D

Doug Junge

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok, thanks. I've never used bleach so thought I would ask. I just don't want them back!

And I completely agree with the fact that pests are impossible to prevent. Just want to do everything I can. Thanks again!

Being sticky and staying connected: Have you used any reef-safe glue?

• I have used reef safe glue.

Votes: 77 86.5%
  • I haven’t used reef safe glue, but plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • I have no interest in using reef safe glue.

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.4%
Back