Cleaning filter socks and skimmer

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So this is probably common sense to most people but I’m a bit of an idiot and still learning so bare with me.

I was just in the middle of cleaning my filter socks and skimmer and I was wondering if doing so is kind of an instant nutrient export?

Lets say I have 20ppm nitrates, and phosphates higher than I’d like (I do) and I take out my filter socks and clean them, and then clean my skimmer cup. Do my parameters instantly drop? Have I removed residual nitrates and phosphates that are just hanging around in my sump, since the water passes through the gunk in those filter socks? Or is it negligiable and doesn’t really change anything. I’m looking at it in the same fashion as a water change, you’re instantly removing those nutrients from the water.

I guess my question is will cleaning my filter socks etc have an instant impact on my parameters?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Should have little to no impact on nutrients. the socks are meant to trap small micron particles whereas the skimmer is meant to remove organic matter by collecting and removing these microscopic pollutants and suspending them in a layer of fine bubbles within the skimmer chamber.

OP
OP
laezur

laezur

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should have little to no impact on nutrients. the socks are meant to trap small micron particles whereas the skimmer is meant to remove organic matter by collecting and removing these microscopic pollutants and suspending them in a layer of fine bubbles within the skimmer chamber.
Right. Makes sense. So what are you improving by cleaning the filter socks? Just enabling them to collect more micron particles effectively?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Right. Makes sense. So what are you improving by cleaning the filter socks? Just enabling them to collect more micron particles effectively?
Yes, before they get clogged and send sediment back to tank, you will clean them periodically or as they become clogged.

Algae invading algae: Have you had unwanted algae in your good macroalgae?

• I regularly have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 39 34.2%
  • I occasionally have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 23 20.2%
  • I rarely have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 9 7.9%
  • I never have unwanted algae in my macroalgae.

Votes: 8 7.0%
  • I don’t have macroalgae.

Votes: 31 27.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.5%
Back