Cleaning old brute for water changes

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys… so long story short I found an old large brute in my basement that I believe I originally did water changes with. I unfortunately cannot recall if anything else was ever mixed in it therefore I haven’t been using it for a long time.

I’m cleaning my basement and am torn between throwing it out or attempting to clean it… is there anything that I can clean it with that will make sure no matter what I had in there will be removed and make it safe enough for salt water? Bleach? Vinegar?

would hate to throw a 32g brute out for no reason..

boacvh

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cleaning would also be my first thought, and probably won't create any issues, in my opinion, they are so cheap in relation to my DT and everything in it, then why risk it? I would get a new one for the price of a few corals rather than risking the DT if you are truly uncertain as to what might have been in it previously. But I am a relative noob, so will let the experience peeps perhaps give a better opinion.

OP
OP
Be102

Be102

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While cleaning would also be my first thought, and probably won't create any issues, in my opinion, they are so cheap in relation to my DT and everything in it, then why risk it? I would get a new one for the price of a few corals rather than risking the DT if you are truly uncertain as to what might have been in it previously. But I am a relative noob, so will let the experience peeps perhaps give a better opinion.
My first thought was to throw it out… then I looked at it and was like well maybe I could clean it…. If it’s gonna cost me $$ in cleaning supplies and whatnot I might as well just get a new one they aren’t very expensive. Less about cost more about waste.

JReef3

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I came across this thread while researching cleaning new from the store Brute containers. I was recently debating whether to use an old Brute I had laying around as well, but then started thinking about what it could have been inadvertently exposed to. I've sprayed my garage and storage shed to keep out insects for instance, and I'd imagine even some overspray from that insecticide getting in/around the Brute could be dangerous to our reefs. Like boacvh suggested, I eventually opted to throw it out and just buy a new one for $30; to me it's not worth the risk of damaging/killing everything we work so hard to take care of.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 31.0%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 19 19.0%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 25 25.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back