cleaning overflow box

  • Thread starter Thread starter uct
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

uct

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Nov 5, 2024
Messages
5
Reaction score
3
Location
Orange County
What state or country do you live in
California
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
While doing yearly maintenance on my sump equipment I banged the plumbing hard and the return bulkhead started leaking. Can't get it to stop leaking so I plan to replace it. However the bottom of my overflow has about 1/4 inch of sand/gunk. I tried sucking it up with a buckethead vacuum but I am having a hard time to controlling the hose and getting it where I want because the tank is two feet high and the overflow is narrow (about 4 inches). Suggestions?
 
While doing yearly maintenance on my sump equipment I banged the plumbing hard and the return bulkhead started leaking. Can't get it to stop leaking so I plan to replace it. However the bottom of my overflow has about 1/4 inch of sand/gunk. I tried sucking it up with a buckethead vacuum but I am having a hard time to controlling the hose and getting it where I want because the tank is two feet high and the overflow is narrow (about 4 inches). Suggestions?
I like to pull the bulkhead fitting(s) out, place a large container like a plastic bin under the bulkhead hole(s), and dump a gallon or so of water into the overflow box to surge all the junk out straight through the bulkhead hole(s)!

From there, you can get access from the bottom via the same hole(s) to do the likes of scrubbing the bottom of the box clean for the new bulkhead gasket(s), and scraping any stubborn organic chunks off with a razor blade if the tank is made of glass!
 
Removing sand or mulm from a deep hole.

Make a nozzle from 2.5' length of 1 inch PVC pipe, duct tape it to the shop vac hose. Ugly, but functional.
 
Well it you remove it to be replaced, Id soak it in Muriatic acid and water. That'll clean it well. Then rinse, dry and reseal. Gives you a backup if something ever happens to the new one.
 
To update, first I duct taped a 1/2x1/2 piece of wood to the vacuum hose (3 locations) which gave me some control over the hose. I was able to vacuum out all water and a good portion of crud. Then I put pump in the sump and ran a hose to the overflow to wash out some more (caught the gunk in a filter sock). Had to change 3 times. Then sucked out most of the water with the vacuum again. Tomorrow I remove fitting and flood with rodi water and catch the water in a container. Then clean up the bored hole with a rag and alcohol wipe. Then install new bulkhead. Thanks for help.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHICH PART OF YOUR SETUP IS HARDEST TO REACH OR REMOVE FOR ROUTINE MAINTENANCE?

  • Glass behind or beside the tank

    Votes: 17 21.5%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 7 8.9%
  • Sump or rear filtration chambers

    Votes: 11 13.9%
  • Skimmer or other filtration equipment

    Votes: 10 12.7%
  • Overflow or plumbing

    Votes: 13 16.5%
  • Lights or lids

    Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mine is pretty easy to access!

    Votes: 20 25.3%
  • Other—tell us what I missed

    Votes: 1 1.3%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new