Cleaning station questions

lbiminiblue

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey guys, with the recent addition of two neon gobies and a blood shrimp, I’ve been watching my tanks and wondering about cleaning stations in reef tanks

A) at what size of tank does a cleaning station actually become a viable possibility

B) at what point/size do fish become used to cleaners and allow themselves to be cleaned?

I ask because the way my fish are reacting right now, you’d think the cleaner gobies are carrying the Black Plague and everyone else is a non-infected peasant.

My poor black percula is constantly being worked over by a goby that’s too small for him to shake off/chase, and recently the royal gramma has been feeling the love (unwanted advances). My bristletooth tang wants absolutely none of the grabby-grabby treatment from the gobies and the moment he’s approached by one, he jets off as far away as possible. I need to post a video. It’s amusing in a sadistic sort of way, seeing these demonic gobies forcefully cleaning unwitting fish.

Is there a point where fish get big enough that they actually need scale/dead skin maintenance and “know” to seek out cleaning?

ndrwater

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
your fish will figure it out eventually...... Or they won't.
Cleaners in nature do what they do. In a captive and much smaller than the ocean scenario, cleaners will still want to clean. There are just fewer customers.

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 42 48.3%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 46 52.9%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • None.

Votes: 22 25.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 10.3%
Back