Cleaning Suggestions

ikimonogakari

New Member
View Badges
Joined
Mar 24, 2023
Messages
21
Reaction score
13
Location
US
What state or country do you live in
Rhode Island
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello all,
I just got a Fluval Flex 32 gallon and plan on getting it ready for fish. The tank has quite a bit of green algae on the black plastic area inside the tank that hides the filtration. Also there's a lot of green algae on the live rocks. What is recommended for cleaning the tank and getting the rocks tank ready? Should I wash using vinegar and then let soak using RO water? Any other ideas? Thanks so much!
 
Can you post a picture of the rocks?

Generally, washing live rocks is just a quick rinse in salt water to remove excess material (dirt & grunge) and a toothbrush to loosen algae when it is excessively present.

Using vinegar is toxic to the microbes that live on live rocks, and they handle the filtration to keep the fish safe.

If the rocks are still wet, and they have not dried out, put them in a bucket in the dark with circulation to keep them alive. Algae die off in the dark.

The tank can be cleaned, but I would recommend citric acid over vinegar. Vinegar attacks plastics and pump impellers, where citric acid (or even diluted muriatic acid) doesn’t attack plastics or impellers.
 
If you want to keep your rocks "live", give them a good brushing with a stiff bristled brush to remove as much of the algae as possible.

If you'd rather use the nuclear option, bleach curing the rocks will return them to white, dry base rock again, and you can then restart your tank from scratch.

This article has more info on bleach curing:
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/cont...P_dMFf1bDmQes6slnylnx_0lLurYuRbGsFs-oYHvy5O9y

Good luck!
 
Can you post a picture of the rocks?

Generally, washing live rocks is just a quick rinse in salt water to remove excess material (dirt & grunge) and a toothbrush to loosen algae when it is excessively present.

Using vinegar is toxic to the microbes that live on live rocks, and they handle the filtration to keep the fish safe.

If the rocks are still wet, and they have not dried out, put them in a bucket in the dark with circulation to keep them alive. Algae die off in the dark.

The tank can be cleaned, but I would recommend citric acid over vinegar. Vinegar attacks plastics and pump impellers, where citric acid (or even diluted muriatic acid) doesn’t attack plastics or impellers.
Thanks for the info! I think I'll try just removing the algae after having it soak in saltwater for a bit.
 
I usually stick to the same habits as strytten, no food or drink near the gear and a quick wipe down before I start playing. For the deeper mess, the kind that gets into the corners and under the desk, I have used Commercial Cleaning Atlanta a few times, and they make the whole place feel reset. That plus a daily paper sort keeps things sane.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 10 45.5%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 2 9.1%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 11 50.0%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 7 31.8%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 3 13.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new