Cleaning the snow globe

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I am working with a bare bottom 15 gallon aquarium, and can’t seem to pull all the gunk out. I do regular twice weekly small water changes, clean back chambers monthly, and do a good job not over feeding.

Recently I removed the siphone and just started using the tube to get the funk out and it is working much better.

I generally take out way more water than called for by my water change and re add it back to the tank and stop when I have 3/4 gallon left and then fill up with new saltwater.

Even with all this cleaning if I blast my pumps, or just hit everything with a turkey blaster it turns into a snow globe. I do run filter floss and it catches a lot but most of it Floats right by the baffles.

So my thought was maybe I could make a system where I could buy a filter sock, stir up the tank and siphon out while I’m also pumping the water back in so I could just keep removing stuff.

Anyone else do something similar or if that nature? Any suggestions?

63F72FAD-5E11-41EE-8A44-055A8D757CA6.jpeg

Ryan P McAlister

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have the same and reuse water when I siphon. I'm not even sure what all this snow is. I have a coral only, no fish tank and feed minimally.

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could purchase a small canister filter and stuff it full of filter floss then use that to suck up off the rocks, I've given it some serious thought and might do it myself in the future...

OP
OP
J

Jason boles

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The snow is just all the stuff that kicks up when I blow and turn the pumps high.

It doesn’t all go into the back left corner where the overflow is so it just kicks up and settles back.

It seems to be accumulating over time.

Set it and forget it: Do you change your aquascape as your corals grow?

• I regularly change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 8 6.6%
  • I occasionally change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 34 27.9%
  • I rarely change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 59 48.4%
  • I never change something in my aquascape.

Votes: 18 14.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 2.5%
Back