Cleaning up an old skimmer to see if it’s savable

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Picked up this skimmer today and have it soaking in white vinegar and warm water. Plan to do that for two days before taking it out and giving it a detailed cleaning piece by piece.

2696ACEC-06B7-4EEB-8D1D-3D6FD2C67D01.jpeg F596F1EA-E68A-4F52-90DF-0E36AB2BAE40.jpeg

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should get it clean. If not, try the vinegar without the water.

That skimmer looks kind of 'old school'. Are you looking to use it in your system?

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That should get it clean. If not, try the vinegar without the water.

That skimmer looks kind of 'old school'. Are you looking to use it in your system?
I am hoping to use it in my new 125 long build. I had planned on buying a new skimmer but this one was given to me so I thought I would clean it up and put it to use. Should I be concerned?

Mr Fishface

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree that if it doesn't clean well try just pure vinegar. It's relatively cheap for a large bottle and it shouldn't take a ton to fill with straight vinegar. Would be pretty cool if it gets up and running again! Knowing how far tech has come in the hobby there is a possibility it won't work as well as something new, but I would think it shouldn't be anything for concern at all.

If it were me, I would still try it!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Heavens no! If it works it works. It's kind of like having a car from the 1980's. It won't have all the bells & whistles like GPS, back up camera etc, etc. But it will still get the job done if it runs!

Good luck.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The previous owner had it running on a 300 gallon reef tank and you can see the skimmate is was drawing out of that tank so I am pretty sure it will work on my 125. White vinegar is all I use to clean my tank equipment. I just used 3 gallons to clean up an old sump I bought and it looks great!

Ron Reefman

Lets Go Snorkeling!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever need a bigger volume or a stronger solution, you can get a gallon of muriatic acid for about $10 at a hardware store. Mix it 10:1 with water and you have about the same strength as vinegar. At 3:1 it will dissolve shells.

ROB2005

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like one of those Marineland skimmers with the pump on the bottom. Judging from its appearance , it did indeed do its job well. I heard those skimmers were prone to leaking?

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you ever need a bigger volume or a stronger solution, you can get a gallon of muriatic acid for about $10 at a hardware store. Mix it 10:1 with water and you have about the same strength as vinegar. At 3:1 it will dissolve shells.
Thank you! I got as many of the shells off as possible with my pressure washer but I have no way of removing the ones on the inside.

OP
OP
PacoPetty

PacoPetty

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Looks like one of those Marineland skimmers with the pump on the bottom. Judging from its appearance , it did indeed do its job well. I heard those skimmers were prone to leaking?
The pump is in the bottom. I am going to inspect it this evening and see if I can determine what brand it is.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 29.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 36.2%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 27.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.4%
Back