I cant tell if my skimmer is breaking in again or Ive broken it after cleaning

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bubble magus curve 5 and I gave it a deep clean today (first time I've done it in about 2 years...so you can imagine it was filthy)

I let it bathe in 50/50 tap water and distilled vinegar and then ran it for about 10 minutes to cycle it all through.

I took it completely apart to every last washer and put it back to together.

However, now I've turned it back on (expecting it to work like day one again).

It's bubbling a bit, but no where near the consistency before (foaming etc.)

I've cleaned the inlet tube and intake multiple times as it looks like that's a common issue. So I don't think it's that.

Edit: it's also currently sat in ro/di water as I was going to run it and let it rinse of the vinegar and tap water.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!
20240124_221926.jpg
20240124_221922.jpg

Last edited:

MarineandReef Jaron

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is almost certainly something to do with the venturi. I would try blowing through the air line. Sometimes this dislodges something and can get it working again.

When you soaked the skimmer did you run the pump with the airline underwater? I always do this as the Ventrui is normally the most important part to clean.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is almost certainly something to do with the venturi. I would try blowing through the air line. Sometimes this dislodges something and can get it working again.

When you soaked the skimmer did you run the pump with the airline underwater? I always do this as the Ventrui is normally the most important part to clean.
Thank you for the reply.

I've tried blowing through it and it seems to just blow water back out of the venturi.

I didn't put the airline under water as well but I shall give that a go! I'm worried I've just done more harm than good by cleaning it

Upvote 0

Peair

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've got a bubble magus curve 5 and I gave it a deep clean today (first time I've done it in about 2 years...so you can imagine it was filthy)

I let it bathe in 50/50 tap water and distilled vinegar and then ran it for about 10 minutes to cycle it all through.

I took it completely apart to every last washer and put it back to together.

However, now I've turned it back on (expecting it to work like day one again).

It's bubbling a bit, but no where near the consistency before (foaming etc.)

I've cleaned the inlet tube and intake multiple times as it looks like that's a common issue. So I don't think it's that.

Edit: it's also currently sat in ro/di water as I was going to run it and let it rinse of the vinegar and tap water.

I'd appreciate any thoughts!
20240124_221926.jpg
20240124_221922.jpg
Give it a few days without messing with it, it might come back.

Upvote 0

Evil1

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact: when you do a breakdown cleaning on your skimmer especially if you clean the needle impeller it will put it in a mini break in period until the needle impeller breaks in again. Happens every time I do a total breakdown cleaning. It will start producing thick skimate in a day or two.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
J

JD117

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fun fact: when you do a breakdown cleaning on your skimmer especially if you clean the needle impeller it will put it in a mini break in period until the needle impeller breaks in again. Happens every time I do a total breakdown cleaning. It will start producing thick skimate in a day or two.
That is a fun fact haha. Thank you for the info!

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 12.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 14.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 90 57.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 7.1%
Back