Cleaning used tank, copper possibly used

parkwaytrash

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a used tank it came with all the goodies (75 lbs rock, glass sump, return pump, ect) . I'm in the process of cleaning everything. Its been dry for several months, before I got it, but going through the box of stuff that came with it was a bottle of cupramine (opened and obviously used)
I have read that copper will leach into rock, silicone, glass and plastic. But is there any way for this to be cleaned?
The rock has already had 1 bleach/water bath and everything is going through vinegar/water cleaning. But would a soak in bleach/ water for several days then sun drying eliminate the copper?
I'm in no hurry, I just want the new tank to be completely cleaned for the transfer of my coral from my current tank. Thank you for any help

Fish Think Pink

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I bought a used tank it came with all the goodies (75 lbs rock, glass sump, return pump, ect) . I'm in the process of cleaning everything. Its been dry for several months, before I got it, but going through the box of stuff that came with it was a bottle of cupramine (opened and obviously used)
I have read that copper will leach into rock, silicone, glass and plastic. But is there any way for this to be cleaned?
The rock has already had 1 bleach/water bath and everything is going through vinegar/water cleaning. But would a soak in bleach/ water for several days then sun drying eliminate the copper?
I'm in no hurry, I just want the new tank to be completely cleaned for the transfer of my coral from my current tank. Thank you for any help
Hello, if copper is in rock, then copper is in rock.... Defer to others on other items

I did a ICP mail order water test (in my build thread) and was surprised to find copper in my tank, but I bought my tank used (I'm at least 3rd owner). Suspect someone did something with copper in its early days, so its still around. Fortunately, my inverts are doing okay. We have changed out some of the rock just as a byproduct of improving our aquascape, but whenever I get around to requesting another ICP test I'll be curious if it brings down my copper count in our water

Suggest reaching out to previous owner and see what you can learn... might have only used in a QT/HT that you didn't get... you might be having needless worry

Back