Cleaning with citric acid

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m soaking and cleaning a bunch of equipment in citric acid and this stuff is amazing. Seems to work better than vinegar IMO. My question is I am doing my stuff in batches - once it comes out of the citric acid bath what do I need to do before I am able to put it back in the Aquarium? Rinse with clean water and let dry? Anything more than that?

SPR1968

No, it wasn’t expensive dear....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes just rinse it with clean water that’s fine, that’s what I do. And just put it back in the tank if you need to, it doesn’t really need to dry if you need it straight away

I prefer citric acid to vinegar, I just find it more pleasant to use.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I’m soaking and cleaning a bunch of equipment in citric acid and this stuff is amazing. Seems to work better than vinegar IMO. My question is I am doing my stuff in batches - once it comes out of the citric acid bath what do I need to do before I am able to put it back in the Aquarium? Rinse with clean water and let dry? Anything more than that?

A quick rinse is adequate. It is a stronger acid than vinegar, that's the main reason why it goes faster.

OP
OP
M

MTsquared

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley so I am cleaning everything getting it ready to be setup as the equipment was purchased from another reefer. If I don’t rinse it is that an issue since the tank is not currently running? Would it become an issue once I finally get running which I hope will be this week.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks @Randy Holmes-Farley so I am cleaning everything getting it ready to be setup as the equipment was purchased from another reefer. If I don’t rinse it is that an issue since the tank is not currently running? Would it become an issue once I finally get running which I hope will be this week.

At low levels, it will act as an organic carbon dosing but is unlikely to cause other issues in seawater.

Rock solid aquascape: Does the weight of the rocks in your aquascape matter?

• The weight of the rocks is a key factor.

Votes: 10 8.3%
  • The weight of the rocks is one of many factors.

Votes: 43 35.5%
  • The weight of the rocks is a minor factor.

Votes: 37 30.6%
  • The weight of the rocks is not a factor.

Votes: 30 24.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back