Cleaning Wrasse and Orchid Dottyback?

  • Thread starter Thread starter mrvn
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

mrvn

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
May 14, 2016
Messages
387
Reaction score
154
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi!

Is it possible to keep these two fish together? I have an orchid dottyback and I would like to add a cleaning wrasse but I've read that dottybacks tend to be aggressive towards other fish with the same shape. If not compatible, any suggestions of cleaning fish or shrimp that I can add safely instead of the cleaning wrasse ?

Thanks,
 
What size tank? What other tankmates? Cleaner wrasses in general are a challenging fish, and benefit from a larger system with plenty of fish.

Neon gobies and cleaner shrimp provide cleaning services and are easier to care for. And although these organisms help with parasite and disease control, they are a poor substitute to proper qt protocol.
 
What size tank? What other tankmates? Cleaner wrasses in general are a challenging fish, and benefit from a larger system with plenty of fish.

Neon gobies and cleaner shrimp provide cleaning services and are easier to care for. And although these organisms help with parasite and disease control, they are a poor substitute to proper qt protocol.

For now I have a orchid dottyback, a yellow tang, clowns, and mandarin but I'm planning on adding a flame angel, a purple tang, and either a blue throat niger trigger or a white cheek tang. My tank is 125 gallon
 
I think you will be ok. If anything maybe use a acclimation box for the wrasse to see. I have a springeri dotty back and it's only aggressive to new additions for a hour or 2bat most in my 180.
 
Orchids are pretty passive, especially since the cleaner wrasse doesn't want the rocks, but will rather spend most of it's time in the open. I don't foresee any major issues.
 

TOP 10 Trending Threads

WHAT IS THE LOUDEST PART OF YOUR REEF SYSTEM?

  • Return pump

    Votes: 4 3.9%
  • Powerheads or wavemakers

    Votes: 6 5.8%
  • Protein skimmer

    Votes: 21 20.4%
  • Overflow or drain

    Votes: 33 32.0%
  • Sump vibration or plumbing

    Votes: 1 1.0%
  • Cooling fans

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Dosing, ATO, or other equipment

    Votes: 9 8.7%
  • Nothing. My reef is surprisingly quiet

    Votes: 13 12.6%
  • Other (Tell us what makes the noise)

    Votes: 7 6.8%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new