Cleaning your UV Sterilizer?

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I cant seem to find a video or article about cleaning your UV sterilizer? I have a Aqua Ultraviolet 25W on my system. I know the bulb needs to be wiped off as well as the quartz sleeve but I've never done it. I've had it about six months.

appreciate any help.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely disassemble it by unscrewing the large nut(s) on the water tight fitting(s) and use a soft towel to wipe off the scum on the quartz tube or bulb if your specific design doesn't use a quartz tube. I use silicone grease on the o-rings to help insure a tight seal when I reassemple them.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Completely disassemble it by unscrewing the large nut(s) on the water tight fitting(s) and use a soft towel to wipe off the scum on the quartz tube or bulb if your specific design doesn't use a quartz tube. I use silicone grease on the o-rings to help insure a tight seal when I reassemple them.

Should I rinse the tube out at all? Will it harm anything? Not sure if stuff gets up in there like Sponges and things?

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can look inside and see. SOmetimes I'll find some sand has collected inside it. Fresh water won't hurt anything as long as none gets into the electronics but don't use any soaps or cleaners.

OP
OP
MichaelReefer

MichaelReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yowza! I had to run home to take the dog out, and took 20 minutes to clean it. The sleeve was brown! I dont think it has been even working haha. I used some CLR spray and it came off after a bit of scrubbing. Nice and clean now.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 34 44.2%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 19 24.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 22 28.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 2.6%
Back