Cleaning

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, after loosing my clowns last year I decided I wanted to take a break from reefing. However, I am back, at the moment this is the state of my tank, does anyone have any recommendations of how to get the sand and algae out of the bottom of the tank(without tipping it) as it is really heavy so tipping it kind of isn’t an option. Also I am happy with all my equipment other than the waterbox pump as it is quite noisy, so if anyone has any alternatives please let me know.

OP
OP
finley

finley

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi everyone, after loosing my clowns last year I decided I wanted to take a break from reefing. However, I am back, at the moment this is the state of my tank, does anyone have any recommendations of how to get the sand and algae out of the bottom of the tank(without tipping it) as it is really heavy so tipping it kind of isn’t an option. Also I am happy with all my equipment other than the waterbox pump as it is quite noisy, so if anyone has any alternatives please let me know.

Attachments

• IMG_7560.jpeg
    IMG_7560.jpeg
    168.8 KB · Views: 38

Minifoot77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Shop vac works wonders

Magic031707

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
As mentioned shop vac will work. Me I used, a pump like this (see link). Amazon has some like this style for cheaper to get the water down to the very bottom. Then I took my son's sand shovel and scooped the sand out. And used paper towels for the little extra. Cleaned with 50/50 vinegar/water

Uncle99

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A small amount of sand and stuff is not going to cause any issues and will just mix with the new sand.

Clean what you can and move forward.

I use Jebao return pumps, are silent running and quite price friendly. My DCQ-10000 has been running past 5 years now and my 20000 3 years now.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 27 15.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 24 13.5%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 103 57.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.7%
Back