Cleaning

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey gang,

I'm about to get my tank wet with saltwater for the first time! What is everyone using to clean up the inside of their tanks and sumps that's safe to get it ready for cycling?

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Mag Float which I rarely use since I replaced it with the Flipper (thing is amazing), and then I have a long tool that has attachments for me to get the back glass, near the sane areas. I dont clean my sump other than replace socks, clean sponge.

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ive got a Mag Float which I rarely use since I replaced it with the Flipper (thing is amazing), and then I have a long tool that has attachments for me to get the back glass, near the sane areas. I dont clean my sump other than replace socks, clean sponge.

Cool. I'm want to do a thorough cleaning of the tank and sump before I fill it. Any suggestions on what to and what NOT to use for cleaning?

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ditto on the Flipper. It works wonders.

Geebs19

Give me all the Euphyllia
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry, I read to fast and missed the last part. You can use bleach, and let it completely dry and when the smell of bleach is gone you are safe to go. You can also use Distilled Vinegar, this is my choice, you can heat it up to cut through anything, then just rinse it out.

Salty Lemon

Doing my best to make waves.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

miPapareef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled vinegar or citric acid aids in dissolving the calcium carbonate deposits and they only need to be rinse before using the tank. For the vinegar, I use a 50:50 mix with water then let soak 60 minutes. If you are not trying to sterilize, I'd go with vinegar over the bleach.

OP
OP
fogcutter

fogcutter

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My stuff was new, so I basically just rinsed off the dust, particles and such. If it is a used tank, you will need to speak with the veterans on the board. Here is a link to a previous thread. https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/cleaning-a-used-aquarium.512603/#post-5409370 . You may find what you need there. Good luck.

Thanks! Neither the tank or the sump have been wet before but they've been sitting for a while and collecting dust. I think I'll go the vinegar route....was using it to clean something earlier and actually remember where it is. ;)

Last edited:

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 18 7.9%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 40 17.5%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 154 67.2%
  • Neither.

Votes: 11 4.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.6%
Back