Cleanup Crews: BIGGER orders or smaller more FREQUENT orders?

Would you ever consider signing up for a CUC subscription service that would deliver critters?

• YES

Votes: 78 25.7%
  • NO

Votes: 222 73.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 1.3%

• Total voters

Susan Edwards

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted no, but could change my mind. I'll be ordering a large order of cuc in a couple weeks after I replace my sandbed. I feed heavy so having N snails and hermits is good. Interesting topic.

Calm Blue Ocean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think CUC needs are too dynamic for a subscription service.

I'm looking at bristleworms eating a dead astraea right now and feeling bad that 3 astraeas is apparently too many for this 10g tank right now even though it didn't seem like enough a couple weeks ago. Needless to say it would be silly to replace any snails in this system.

For my 50g I've been bringing snails in in batches for my diatoms turned hair algae issue. I'm a bit regretful that I wasn't a little more aggressive with my earlier orders because I'm definitely behind the ball right now but, as seen above with the 10g, conditions can change and then you start losing them. I don't like losing snails.

It's a challenge to figure out what you need to fix a problem while keeping in mind what you will need to maintain conditions after you round the corner. Then new problems might arise that need a whole different crew (maybe you have bubble algae now). I don't think it's s something a subscription can handle.

H3rm1tCr@b

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got an order from TBS a couple months ago, so I honestly don't need anymore clean up crew. I like to get a new snail every couple months (my crabs love to kill them, but I like the crabs more) but other than that I'm just sticking to what I got. That rock is popping out bristle worms, chitons, and massive limpets like crazy so I just sit back and watch the mayhem.

Mr. Fishy Fish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1. Do you think it's better to order more critters in bigger orders or smaller more frequent orders?

It depends on the person's particular situation. For example, I'll be starting small instead of big, then gradually increase the amount of snails overtime.

2. If you chose more frequent how often would these orders be? Monthly, Quarterly etc?

I find this question odd, it takes someone 76 days to quarantine their CUC. So If I were to get a monthly order and put them in the same QT, then I'll have to restart the fallow period every month. This implies that with a monthly order they would never come out of QT. So, if anything I'll top off my CUC bi-annually.

3. Would you ever consider signing up for a CUC subscription service that would deliver critters at certain set dates?

Sure if they could give me exactly what I want every 6 months at a cheaper cost I'd consider it.

TheOldSalt

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Things go wrong.
On top of all the things already mentioned, I worry that the service provider would get stuck with a bad lot of critters, and then pawn them off on his customers because he has a schedule to keep.

Tankkeepers

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I awnsered yes but only if I was still setting up new tanks for people all the time

as to how often that would have to be some sort of click here to make order button

In all fairness I used to kinda do that at reef cleaners

Setting up a 20l grab a pack
Setting up a 55 grab a pack for that
Etc

So I may have to change my awnser to no now that I think about it as I'm not in the habbit of lossing cuc members heck last sea hare I had lived 2 years after I got it and I still have almost all of the original cuc from setting up this tank 8 months ago lost a few snails to hermits and had a few doa granted I feed em when they run outta food

Leah Ryan

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My husband and I added a lot of CUC to our tanks toward the beginning and over the last couple of years we have gradually slowed down adding them. Plus, some of these little critters multiply on their own. I don't know if we would need a subscription service that replenished them.

The_Skrimp

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The rate at which I have to replenish clean up crew is just way too irregular to be something I can manage through a subscription service.

I’d prefer to pick up the cleaners I need as I go.

BackToTheReef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted yes b/c there is a good chance I am going to have critters that will eat my CUC and/or have a big tank that will need a decent size group. BUT I would like to be able to control what was in it, for example no sand sifting star fish or cucumbers.

mkwarner77

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think I just hit the magic self replenishment, at least for nassarius snails. I had a terrible sept, long hospitalization and loss of my wifes mom. I barely had time to do basic tank maint. Completely forgot to swap out the filter sock. After 3+ weeks I expected it to be clogged and overflowing into the sump. I was shock when I pulled it out a nearly clean, except for some hair algae. I found about a dz baby nassarius. put them in the main tank. Hopefully that cycle will continue.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 42.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 20.2%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 42 33.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.2%
Back