Clear Background?

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm wondering if you can just cut and peel the back off similar to red sea tanks

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I remember them saying no. It's too bad, this would absolutely make waterbox stand out for me. They have clear back glass, but it's blacked out. They have a small external overflow, but that doesn't matter since the black can't be removed.

Red Sea is nice with a clear back, but the overflow is black, internal, and stretches to the bottom of the tank.

I'm considering getting a slightly larger tank at some point, and hoping waterbox will have a clear option.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I thought all there larger models had internal overflows and only the 40.1 has the external hummm I'll have to do some more research...

External Overflow Box
"Unique to our 40.1 Platinum, we incorporated an external overflow box to maximize aquarium landscape options."

Wrasse-cal

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe only the 40.1 has an external overflow. My 100.3 has an internal overflow box.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Although maybe the 40.1 is slightly larger than his current tank and is the one he is thinking of purchasing.

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently we don’t have anything in the plans for a version that is reef ready with a clear background. You never know what might happen in the farther out future but nothing in the works for that now. And yes the 40.1 is the only one with the external overflow.

With double checking into if the black on back glass is removable the answer is technically yes. We do not advise it as we can not say how well or easy it will remove so we would not hold any responsibility if the consumer decided to do this to their aquarium.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Currently we don’t have anything in the plans for a version that is reef ready with a clear background. You never know what might happen in the farther out future but nothing in the works for that now. And yes the 40.1 is the only one with the external overflow.

With double checking into if the black on back glass is removable the answer is technically yes. We do not advise it as we can not say how well or easy it will remove so we would not hold any responsibility if the consumer decided to do this to their aquarium.

I understand you aren't going towards clear backgrounds, but I'm wondering why it's not a consideration? I'm not saying you're wrong not to, I'm curious what manufacturers look at when determining this. Is this your own aesthetic decision in the company? Or did you run some kind of statistical analysis?

I don't know if I'm a small percentage of the market that doesn't like closed/black backgrounds. But that could be the case. My argument is that I want my tank to fit with the room, as a beautiful art-piece. If you see my tank photos, the rock is minimal and the whole system is in a pretty nice home office I spend quite some time in (rather than a dark garage or something where you want to take focus off of the room).

I always liked ELOS tanks because they always had the clear backgrounds and corner overflows, to really let the tanks fit into a room. You see this also with ADA and other freshwater tanks too. If ELOS had better support, I'd go back to them.

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand you aren't going towards clear backgrounds, but I'm wondering why it's not a consideration? I'm not saying you're wrong not to, I'm curious what manufacturers look at when determining this. Is this your own aesthetic decision in the company? Or did you run some kind of statistical analysis?

I don't know if I'm a small percentage of the market that doesn't like closed/black backgrounds. But that could be the case. My argument is that I want my tank to fit with the room, as a beautiful art-piece. If you see my tank photos, the rock is minimal and the whole system is in a pretty nice home office I spend quite some time in (rather than a dark garage or something where you want to take focus off of the room).

I always liked ELOS tanks because they always had the clear backgrounds and corner overflows, to really let the tanks fit into a room. You see this also with ADA and other freshwater tanks too. If ELOS had better support, I'd go back to them.

It comes down to demand for a clear background is substantially smaller than with the blacked out background which is why we don't have it in consideration for the future. For non drilled freshwater systems the demand is almost 100% clear backgrounds but not in the reef ready market. It is tough to meet everyone's preferences so the option to manually remove the background is generally going to be the most common option.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It comes down to demand for a clear background is substantially smaller than with the blacked out background which is why we don't have it in consideration for the future. For non drilled freshwater systems the demand is almost 100% clear backgrounds but not in the reef ready market. It is tough to meet everyone's preferences so the option to manually remove the background is generally going to be the most common option.

That makes sense! Thank you for the reply.

I know you guys aren't promising the ease of removal for the back glass, but can you tell us what it's made of? Is it a vinyl sheet? Is it painted on?

Waterbox Aquariums

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That makes sense! Thank you for the reply.

I know you guys aren't promising the ease of removal for the back glass, but can you tell us what it's made of? Is it a vinyl sheet? Is it painted on?

It is a vinyl sheet so it should be a pretty straight forward removal but we haven't done it ourselves so can not say for sure how easy/well/etc it removes.

bhuyett

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it is vinyl, it would be an easy fix as long as the tank hasn't been filled. You just need a heat gun and warm the vinyl and peel off. Same way they do cars when taking vinyl wrap off.

JoshH

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right... I'm asking about waterbox though? Am I in the right place?

Pretty much the same tanks so aren't going to look much different, if atall different, just trying to give you somewhere to look for more info and a few pics as there aren't many who have done it and no one that's done it to my knowledge with a waterbox. You're in the right place, I was just trying to help you out.

OP
OP
kinetic

kinetic

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pretty much the same tanks so aren't going to look much different, if atall different, just trying to give you somewhere to look for more info and a few pics as there aren't many who have done it and no one that's done it to my knowledge with a waterbox. You're in the right place, I was just trying to help you out.

I appreciate it. Yes, I've seen a ton of Red Sea tanks without it. I'm just not entirely sure if a waterbox has the same type of background etc. I think some of the waterboxes have external overflows as well?

I have my own Red Sea without a background as well.

So I'm hoping someone with a Waterbox has photos of theirs without a background.

I wish Waterbox would just make one (that's not a peninsula) without a background as an option. Or make a 100.3 peninsula ;)

Back