Clear mesh cover disintegrating from metal halide

  • Thread starter Thread starter blebs
  • Start date Start date
  • Tagged users Tagged users None

blebs

Active Member
View Badges
Joined
Oct 28, 2010
Messages
105
Reaction score
76
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I switched over from LED to MH, 6 months ago. Over the past 6 months, a hole has been forming on the clear mesh screen I used for my top. When you go to touch the screen, it has become super brittle, and just breaks away, it is not melting. The hole is big enough now that I am worried about losing fish, and will be replacing the cover with eggcrate as my temporary/permanent solution.

I never had this happen before with mesh screen covers, and I am assuming it is a reaction to the intense heat from the MH. The light is not that close to the screen, maybe 12". Anyone ever had this happen to them?
 
I switched over from LED to MH, 6 months ago. Over the past 6 months, a hole has been forming on the clear mesh screen I used for my top. When you go to touch the screen, it has become super brittle, and just breaks away, it is not melting. The hole is big enough now that I am worried about losing fish, and will be replacing the cover with eggcrate as my temporary/permanent solution.

I never had this happen before with mesh screen covers, and I am assuming it is a reaction to the intense heat from the MH. The light is not that close to the screen, maybe 12". Anyone ever had this happen to them?

Most likely from the UV the lamps put off, not from the heat.
 
You need uv resistant for your application
 
Had my screen under halides for years and didnt face such issues
 

WHAT IS THE BIGGEST REASON YOU ATTEND A FRAG SWAP?

  • Finding unusual or hard-to-find corals

    Votes: 10 31.3%
  • Better prices than buying online

    Votes: 16 50.0%
  • Trading or selling my own frags

    Votes: 3 9.4%
  • Meeting other reefers

    Votes: 11 34.4%
  • Learning from vendors and hobbyists

    Votes: 4 12.5%
  • Seeing corals in person before buying

    Votes: 15 46.9%
  • Supporting the local reefing community

    Votes: 8 25.0%
  • I don’t have frag swaps nearby

    Votes: 5 15.6%
  • Other (Post in the comments)

    Votes: 0 0.0%
Back
Top
Home
Post thread…
Market
What's new