!!!Clear Water Questions!!!

Texas Reefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I will have to get rid of the tang from what I am seeing. I can tell you that my other half is not going to be happy with this outcome! Any other suggestions?

If not, remember, the tang is the smallest one I could find and will be moved to a bigger tank in September when I get my Red Sea Reefer 625, so will it be okay until then? I will just manage the tank a little better and do weekly water changes instead of every two weeks.
I think that should be fine. Are you keeping the biocube as well as setting up a new tank?

Crabs McJones

I'm so shi-nay
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So it looks like I will have to get rid of the tang from what I am seeing. I can tell you that my other half is not going to be happy with this outcome! Any other suggestions?

If not, remember, the tang is the smallest one I could find and will be moved to a bigger tank in September when I get my Red Sea Reefer 625, so will it be okay until then? I will just manage the tank a little better and do weekly water changes instead of every two weeks.
Not necessarily. If you're moving him up to a big tank soon, you can keep him in there, just know you may have to deal with the poo particulates until then.

madweazl

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You stated bioload isn't an issue? That's seems contradictory to me. The tang and the bioload I believe is a direct issue.

My intent was to say the bioload is not an issue (based on current number and size of fish). The tang will be an issue going forward based on the eventual size and characteristics of the fish (will become increasingly aggressive). What about this setup makes you believe the bio-load is too high? The only reported issues are cloudy water and phosphate levels (which arent much of an issue given the corals being kept). The phosphates will likely come down (certainly decrease the rate at which they may increase) with better husbandry (e.g. replacing the floss more frequently) and the water will likely clear up from the same.

If the real gripe is the ethics of keeping 4-5 fish in 32 gallons, fine (no argument from me). Fish will always prefer more room than what we're giving them but from a biological standpoint, it's sustainable. See that goniopora up there? Looks pretty happy to me; all that particulate floating around is likely a big reason...

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My intent was to say the bioload is not an issue (based on current number and size of fish). The tang will be an issue going forward based on the eventual size and characteristics of the fish (will become increasingly aggressive). What about this setup makes you believe the bio-load is too high? The only reported issues are cloudy water and phosphate levels (which arent much of an issue given the corals being kept). The phosphates will likely come down (certainly decrease the rate at which they may increase) with better husbandry (e.g. replacing the floss more frequently) and the water will likely clear up from the same.

If the real gripe is the ethics of keeping 4-5 fish in 32 gallons, fine (no argument from me). Fish will always prefer more room than what we're giving them but from a biological standpoint, it's sustainable. See that goniopora up there? Looks pretty happy to me; all that particulate floating around is likely a big reason...
We can agree to disagree and I mentioned nothing about ethics as I don't think the OP put a tang in the tank to be cruel. It doesn't matter what the goniopora looks like. That much fish waste with a tang included is going to produce more bioload than that tank can handle, period. I'd rather give advice to the OP that will help him now and in the future because as the fish grow it will get worse. So to recap, yes I believe bioload to be an issue. Cloudy water and phospates will be an issue and only get worse due to bioload IMO. I'd rather not turn this thread into another debate of yours, we have our opinions and the OP can choose his next course of action. Again, agree to disagree.

OP
OP
Brian Baker

Brian Baker

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I appreciate all of the advice and yes come Sept. when I get my bonus check I am getting that Reefer 625. Any ideas on a cheap way to get a lot of filter floss. Some people say that you can get some from Wal-Mart but I am not a fan of Wal-Mart and will not spend my money there.

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I appreciate all of the advice and yes come Sept. when I get my bonus check I am getting that Reefer 625. Any ideas on a cheap way to get a lot of filter floss. Some people say that you can get some from Wal-Mart but I am not a fan of Wal-Mart and will not spend my money there.
@Lovemyreef2015 where did you order those bundles of floss from?

leepink23

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Vahanyos

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had much better success with a mimic yellow tang than an actual yellow tang in smaller tanks. Of course after a few months they tend to get more aggressive when they realize they are stuck with a small space to swim in. The mimic gangs also change colors when they mature so by mindful of that (if you like the all yellow look). Just my two cents since your significant other likes the yellow fish :)

Amado

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Jason Schwend

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can tell you I have a biocube 14g with a good bit of corals, 3 diffrent clowns and a hi fin goby. Like you my phosphates are little higher than one would like got gha also. I use a homemade media basket in the back with filter floss on top, chemipure elite in the middle and phosguard on bottom ( trying to control phos). I do weekly water changes about 25 to 30 percent. Besides my pistol shrimp kicking stuff up, my water is also crystal clear. I think the chemipure elite and filter floss are to thank.

20180510_151123_Film1.jpg

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 18 13.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 9 6.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 19 14.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 74 56.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.9%
Back