Clicking noise for years

Rlc5205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

so ive been hearing a clicking noise coming from my tank. Ive been hearing the noise in my last two tanks now...even with the pumps off. I hear it every once in a while and it sounds like someone is tapping on the glass. Sometimes in succession.

The things that are the same from my last tank to this one are:
Pair of designer clowns
Blue hippo tang
Yellow coris wrasse
Lubbocks Fairy Wrasse
Rocks
Fighting conchs

i have never had a pistol shrimp or mantis...so if thats the culprit i have no idea how it got there...

thanks!

Chefwheredyougo

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've heard some fish make grunting or clicking noises, but I don't think it's any that you've listed

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a mantis shrimp to me. If the sound has moved to new tanks over the years, its probably hitch hiking on rock to the new tank.

Are fish inexplicably disappearing?

OP
OP
R

Rlc5205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That sounds like a mantis shrimp to me. If the sound has moved to new tanks over the years, its probably hitch hiking on rock to the new tank.

Are fish inexplicably disappearing?

nope.

all the fish ive had for almost 3 years, some longer... any fish ive added and died was because they are usually beat up by the usual gang...

Gernader

Reefing is a never-ending addiction...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I was thinking of a mantis shrimp too.

OP
OP
R

Rlc5205

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any large snails or hermits? I've got two nearly golf ball sized snail that make that noise when they are going along the edge of the gravel and keep bumping the glass.
I had some zebra turbo snails but ive been removing them because they keep knocking over my frags...i think i have one alive left. I have like 2 hermits and a bunch of small trochus snails. And the fighting conchs...about 3 inch long

badluckman

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any large snails or hermits? I've got two nearly golf ball sized snail that make that noise when they are going along the edge of the gravel and keep bumping the glass.

+1 to above. I have snails and hermits and they sometimes make noise against the glass. Especially the climbing hermits when they eventually drop the silicone and tumble down along the glass, but even just walking along it can make a tapping noise.

Sailingeric

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My hermits will bang the glass with their shells when they are walking by and sometimes snail when get close the blades of the power head and it will click as it whirls by the shell tapping it and I had a Bangaii cardinal fish that would make clicking noises. I would go with the crab

Shufflepig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have tiger conchs that tap against the glass quite often and it’s louder than you’d expect. Are your conchs accounted for when the tapping is occurring?

Back