Closed Loop or Gyre?

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was all set to get a closed loop drilled when my new tank is built (72"X30"X25") but I am wondering if I am better off going with a pair of Gyres. I plan on going with a Hydros controller. Are Gyres high maintenance? Would 2 be adequate, I know they move water well in smaller tanks. I was planning on a 2" drain with 2 low returns and 2 high returns on the closed loop. I don't want to do both.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a closed loop fan but also a bit old school. Where would your intake be at?
2" is big. What pump?
Seaswirls?
These days with $ you can achieve amazing things with maybe the ecotechs mp series or the reef octopus pulse 4 pump pushes 4500gph.
Tunze has some amazing stuff as well.
D

OP
OP
K

kcinnick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am a closed loop fan but also a bit old school. Where would your intake be at?
2" is big. What pump?
Seaswirls?
These days with $ you can achieve amazing things with maybe the ecotechs mp series or the reef octopus pulse 4 pump pushes 4500gph.
Tunze has some amazing stuff as well.
D
I have not picked out pumps yet. I honestly wasn't sure what size to go with for the intake. I would do the intake in the bottom 1/3 of the tank to hide it, I always used clear mesh tubing with a PVC cap on the intake, it use to be readily available from a variety of aquatic stores, but I am not seeing anywhere other than industrial places now, and they don't list it for sale, just that it exists.

monkeyCmonkeyDo

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ya my problem was the strainer or the suction. Lol
I used a baldor hammerhead gold style pump. Big industrial external type pump. Not recommended.

For pumps the fluval sp series gets up higher gph. Also the sicce dc pumps go high flow... quiet is always a factor.for me. Lol.
D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 56 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 29 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 35.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.6%
Back