Closed loop or no closed loop

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am about to place an order for a 72x30x25 peninsula. I am considering having 3 equally spaced holes drilled for 1" pipes down the center of the bottom panel, to provide flow to the bottom and long ends of the tank via a closed loop system.

For those of you who have used closed loops, did you like it or did it cause issues with rock scaping, or any or issues?

Additional flow will be 2x jebao 0W-40 and gyre on overflow panel. I would like to keep other panels clear of pumps/wires. Will be keeping zoas/acans on far end, higher flow corals closer to center and overflow end. Full mixed reef.

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
IMHO a closed loop is always a good thing to have in place. The only issue is if you go with sand or bare bottom.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am currently running a barebottom 150g. While I like the clean appearance, I miss having a more natural sand look. I will have sand this time around, maybe 1.5-2".

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think a closed loop is beneficial. I just would have it up a bit from the bottom and make sure I can control the flow rate.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. I do plan on having a stand alone controllable DC pump for the closed loop. I am not sure where to install the check valve(s) and I would also like to have gate valves on each return to have full flow controllability. It will be 5-8 weeks before the tank arrives so I have time to figure that out..I am leaning towards having the holes drilled for the closed loop. My main concerns are how the returns nozzles will look in the tank. I am sure with some creative rock scaping I can hide them pretty well.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Closed loops are a great way to get good water flow for the corals that like it and hide the pumps and plumbing. Aquascaping can be built around the intake and return to completely hide it and keep sand from getting sucked into the intake screen.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I am about to place an order for a 72x30x25 peninsula. I am considering having 3 equally spaced holes drilled for 1" pipes down the center of the bottom panel, to provide flow to the bottom and long ends of the tank via a closed loop system.

For those of you who have used closed loops, did you like it or did it cause issues with rock scaping, or any or issues?

Additional flow will be 2x jebao 0W-40 and gyre on overflow panel. I would like to keep other panels clear of pumps/wires. Will be keeping zoas/acans on far end, higher flow corals closer to center and overflow end. Full mixed reef.
I had extra holes drilled for a closed loop on my 233 gallon tank.
I am very happy with it 7 years later.
On each of the return holes I used a loc-line Y and split the flow direct 2 ways. So with 4 return holes I have extra flow going 8 different ways.
Don't forget to have larger hole drilled for suction.
Also be prepared to make/buy some sort of grill/guard for the suction side inside the tank.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
On each of the return holes I used a loc-line Y and split the flow direct 2 ways. So with 4 return holes I have extra flow going 8 different ways.
Also be prepared to make/buy some sort of grill/guard for the suction side inside the tank.
Thanks, that is pretty much how I am planning to plumb the closed loop return, 2 snake heads on each return to provide flow in 2 different directions on each return. I will also add check vales.

Would you mind explaining the larger hole for suction?

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Thanks, that is pretty much how I am planning to plumb the closed loop return, 2 snake heads on each return to provide flow in 2 different directions on each return. I will also add check vales.

Would you mind explaining the larger hole for suction?
I made it the same size as the suction side of the pump.
I would skip check valves and maybe go with true union ball valves.

ReefPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow in a peninsula can be a pain in the a**

In a perfect world, you'd want the three viewable sides clean and no visible pumps, thus forcing you to put all the powerheads on the one "back" side. To get the appropriate flow throughout the tank, you need to crank up the pumps, this has the effect of pushing water against the opposite side glass and forcing it down to the sand.

So Peninsula + sand + flow all on one side, is a pain.

I would strongly recommend closed loops on a peninsula, more so to provide flow at the "front" of the peninsula, so you don't have to crank it so high on the "back".

I'll always go with combinations of closed loops and powerheads from now on.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Flow in a peninsula can be a pain in the a**

In a perfect world, you'd want the three viewable sides clean and no visible pumps, thus forcing you to put all the powerheads on the one "back" side. To get the appropriate flow throughout the tank, you need to crank up the pumps, this has the effect of pushing water against the opposite side glass and forcing it down to the sand.

So Peninsula + sand + flow all on one side, is a pain.

I would strongly recommend closed loops on a peninsula, more so to provide flow at the "front" of the peninsula, so you don't have to crank it so high on the "back".

I'll always go with combinations of closed loops and powerheads from now on.
There does not seem to be many cons to a closed loop system based on most comments I have read. Some refer to it as an "old" method to provide flow..I am ok with that if it works and I can have less wires and powerheads to clean. It would be great to replace all powerheads with closed loop returns...but I imagine creating varied flow patterns may be a bit challeging.

Last edited:

Ben Pedersen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hide the input for a closed loop, how would you be able to manage / clean it. I am currently doing a 300 gallon peninsula and trying to figure the flow out... kingy138 is absolutly correct! Flow in a large peninsula is tough.

OP
OP
FishyDP

FishyDP

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you hide the input for a closed loop, how would you be able to manage / clean it. I am currently doing a 300 gallon peninsula and trying to figure the flow out... kingy138 is absolutly correct! Flow in a large peninsula is tough.
I have been thinking about this as well..my first thought is that I will place rocks strategically to be able to access the returns..beyond that I am hoping someone will chime in with their own method of maintaining the return nozzles, or the necessity of doing so

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Closed loop for sure. It is also a way to get nutrients distributed regularly

1610142666005.png
1610142745770.png

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I don't get it, but how do you filter the water in a closed loop? For my next build, I don't want to see ANY equipment, but I don't understand how you'd be able to add mechanical, chemical. Etc filtration. Is it possible to add a fuge or a chaeto reactor?

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe I don't get it, but how do you filter the water in a closed loop? For my next build, I don't want to see ANY equipment, but I don't understand how you'd be able to add mechanical, chemical. Etc filtration. Is it possible to add a fuge or a chaeto reactor?
You don't filter the water in the closed loop, you filter the water in the sump

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
The closed loop doesn't do anything except move water in the display tank. It helps eliminate the use of other water movers such as powerheads and is usually hidden from sight.
The return pump moves the water from the sump to the tank

monicalooze

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You don't filter the water in the closed loop, you filter the water in the sump
Ah. I didn't think there was a sump involved. When I read about it, all I learned was that it doesn't touch the air. Having trouble finding enough info on this to figure it out! Also very new to plumbing. Don't worry I will get help.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Ah. I didn't think there was a sump involved. When I read about it, all I learned was that it doesn't touch the air. Having trouble finding enough info on this to figure it out! Also very new to plumbing. Don't worry I will get help.
with a closed loop, there isn't a sump involved.
Water is pulled from a generally larger bulkhead fitting in the display tank, run through a fairly strong pump and goes back into the display tank at multiple locations. This can be plumbed over the top or with bulkhead fittings.

A worm with high fashion and practical utility: Have you ever kept feather dusters in your reef aquarium?

• I currently have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 66 37.3%
  • Not currently, but I have had feather dusters in my tank in the past.

Votes: 59 33.3%
  • I have not had feather dusters, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 25 14.1%
  • I have no plans to have feather dusters in my tank.

Votes: 27 15.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back