Closed Loop Vectra L2 Question

JoshH

Tank Status: Wet...ish, growing things....
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have no desire to go with a external controller of any kind.
My thought was to use a pair of L2's on opposite flow patterns like was previously suggested, before I side tracked this thread.
I can certainly see applications where a red dragon or abyzz pump would be called for, but on a closed loop where there’s no head pressure to overcome (though there is some friction back pressure of course) something much less expensive is really all that’s necessary. That the vectra has the ability to vary flow makes it almost ideal for a closed loop. I bought my M1 on the day it was released and it has hummed along (fugurative not literal as it is silent) ever since - 4 years, maybe even 5?

Just a suggestion to save some money, a $200 basic controller and a $200 module is much cheaper than taking a serious hit on two Red Dragons and replacing them with Vectras. Now that was all assuming you had 2 Red Dragons @mfinn

U

User1

View Badges
I can't speak for Vetra pumps or even a closed loop for that matter but I try something similar using my Cor 15 and 20 return pumps to alternate flow. I have 1" Sea Swirls on either side of the tank so was looking for a incoming outgoing tide sort of thing. The main issue I ran into was the auto top off and sump water level.

First attempt was to use the built in return pumps schedule. This actually worked very well but gave me the biggest challenge to the sumps water level. I may go back to this because I so some really good polyp extension. Basically one Cor starts at 15% the other at 80%. Next time slot one is at 70% the other 25%. Next time slot they again switch, repeat. Image below. The main difference is one of the returns is a Cor 20 and the other a Cor 15. So the 20 was run a bit lower.

After a while I said OK I'm sure there is a different way but would leave the sump water level more consistent. I asked on the Neptune web forum and someone suggested using a virtual outlet with the OSC function. This worked again well and did what I wanted - same code below.

tideTiming
OSC 000:00/360:00/360:00 Then ON

COR20
Fallback ON
Set 80
If Output tideTiming = ON Then 20

COR15
Fallback OFF
Set 35
If Output tideTiming = ON Then 80

Sort of cool. Probably not what you wanted but Neptune and the Cor pumps seem to do something somewhat similar. I'm moving the Cor 20 to the skimmer and will now have 2 cor 15's for returns. I think this will be better and still give me inter-changeability should the need arise due to failures.

1573322721725.png

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
Just a suggestion to save some money, a $200 basic controller and a $200 module is much cheaper than taking a serious hit on two Red Dragons and replacing them with Vectras. Now that was all assuming you had 2 Red Dragons @mfinn
I had Vectras on my 233g. After replacing the L1 twice in a year, I sold off the 3rd L1 and bought a RD3 150 watt.
I had already jumped from $200-$300 pumps into the $450 range with the Vectra. At this point I was looking for 2 things that were pretty much equal in priority. Dependable and quiet. RD3's fit that bill perfectly. At the period in time I was working at a very well paying job ( and collecting pension and SS checks ) and while it hurt for a few moments, I didn't really hesitate to go there.
I found a pretty good deal on a RD3 80 watt so replacing the Vectra M1 return pump seemed like a thing to do.
There is nothing wrong with the flow in my 233, I just saw the idea of using a pair of Vectra L2's ( new and improved) and using the built in programs as a new challenge.
However with only a single 1-1/2" bulkhead for suction and four return holes that are narrowed down to 3/4" loc-line, it's probably not feasible.
As far as cost, I don't think I would be taking that much of a hit on my original investment on the RD3 150 watt on re-sale.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
I will be installing inlets from the tank to the inlet on the pumps. Either back wall or bottom will be drilled for bulkheads
I would figure into your plans on something other than just a pipe with holes and a screen on the end.
The suction if strong enough can be a trap for small slow fish and anemones.

OP
OP
buck27

buck27

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would figure into your plans on something other than just a pipe with holes and a screen on the end.
The suction if strong enough can be a trap for small slow fish and anemones.
Yeah, I've ran closed loop before. Just figuring a new way of going about it is all but i appreciate the advice for sure.

M

Max_nano

View Badges
A 1 1/2" T with dual strainers under the aquascape I have planned. Possibly a foot long section of pipe on either end with 1/4ish inch holes drilled throughout them.

@JoshH have you done this? I’m working with a tank driller for closed loop and want to do something similar to protect the inlet.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All old threads must come back to life!

I just installed a closed loop using vectra L2 on my 400 gallon. 1.5" inlet feeding 4 outlets that are 3/4". The flow is very good and flexibility I have is even better at directly flow where I need. I figure with head pressure of only 18" I am getting around 2600 gph across 4 outlets. I like this concept since I never want to add more than 2 MP60s in the display tank.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All old threads must come back to life!

I just installed a closed loop using vectra L2 on my 400 gallon. 1.5" inlet feeding 4 outlets that are 3/4". The flow is very good and flexibility I have is even better at directly flow where I need. I figure with head pressure of only 18" I am getting around 2600 gph across 4 outlets. I like this concept since I never want to add more than 2 MP60s in the display tank.
I put 2 closed loops on my 400g. So far I've only connected 2 of the 4 planned pumps though. Mine is 2 2inch inlets and 1.5 inch returns all on the back wall. I did a tee off each drain, with a jebao mcd10000 for each return. The 2 ive got running are doing so on 60% and the outlet is wide open. I tried ordering random flow generator nozzles for them but they don't make them in that size.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Here are a couple pics

Attachments

• 20220131_141657.jpg
    20220131_141657.jpg
    170 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220131_141554.jpg
    20220131_141554.jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220131_141518.jpg
    20220131_141518.jpg
    161.4 KB · Views: 20

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of time I spend planning this was insane, Closed loops are the hardest to plumb but feel are very beneficial to larger reefs that want to avoid having 6-8 internal pumps that become a nightmare to service overtime. i like that i can close certain sections at a time and will run the closed loop on reefcreast mode.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The amount of time I spend planning this was insane, Closed loops are the hardest to plumb but feel are very beneficial to larger reefs that want to avoid having 6-8 internal pumps that become a nightmare to service overtime. i like that i can close certain sections at a time and will run the closed loop on reefcreast mode.
The mcd have an app, to set different flows, I also have a dcq10000, those have a wave function, ramp up ramp down like a powerhead, so I may run 2 of those on the other 2 returns. The added flow is definitely beneficial, if your outputs are small enough to use rfg nozzles you may want to consider them, as they really increase the changing flow patterns in a way no powerhead ive seen has been able to duplicate.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mcd have an app, to set different flows, I also have a dcq10000, those have a wave function, ramp up ramp down like a powerhead, so I may run 2 of those on the other 2 returns. The added flow is definitely beneficial, if your outputs are small enough to use rfg nozzles you may want to consider them, as they really increase the changing flow patterns in a way no powerhead ive seen has been able to duplicate.
I actually have my couzin make me 6 of those RFG nozzles and curious to see how they work.

Shooter6

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually have my couzin make me 6 of those RFG nozzles and curious to see how they work.
I bet you will love them, only thing I could see is you deciding to take the pumps off reef crest and have them on constant flow. The rfg work that well!

Mastering the art of locking and unlocking water pathways: What type of valves do you have on your aquarium plumbing?

• Ball valves.

Votes: 74 51.4%
  • Gate valves.

Votes: 73 50.7%
  • Check valves.

Votes: 36 25.0%
  • None.

Votes: 32 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.3%
Back