OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pics seem to be lacking blue spectrum needed for production of zooxanthellae
Ya, it's in hospital tank. I read in one of the threads that when they are sick the zooxanthellae die off anyway? So don't need as much light? I dunno... new to this.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Ya, it's in hospital tank. I read in one of the threads that when they are sick the zooxanthellae die off anyway? So don't need as much light? I dunno... new to this.
They are not fans of changes in salinity and light. Hospital tank may not be its happy place. Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp between 77and 80°F
  • pH : 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are not fans of changes in salinity and light. Hospital tank may not be its happy place. Anemones prefer warmer temperatures. Water should be on the alkali side as well. Monitor water conditions regularly to avoid any major changes. Ammonia and nitrate levels should be undetectable using a good quality test kit and Not API either.
Here are some water parameters to follow.
  • Water temp between 77and 80°F
  • pH : 8.1 to 8.3
  • Alk: 8 to 11 dKH
  • Salinity: 1.024 to 1.025
  • Nitrate < .5
When you first introduce the anemone to the tank, turn down any pumps. The flow should be minimal until the anemone gets settled in. Chances are, your anemone will move around the tank until it finds a suitable spot to call home.
Anemone lighting is a very important aspect of their care. These creatures need a lot of light to thrive because they’re photosynthetic which means that they absorb light to produce food and growth. The anemone has zooxanthellae in its body, which are symbiotic microorganisms that they feed on. Without proper lighting, the anemone will expel the zooxanthellae and turn white. This process is called bleaching and often leads to death.
A moderate amount of flow is recommended. Too much flow will cause the anemone to stretch out and look stringy. Keeping things moderate will help avoid this from happening. Avoid directing your flow directly at the anemone. These creatures enjoy subtle movement at all times but too much direct flow hitting the anemone will force it to move.
Thanks. It was already looking pretty bad for about 2 weeks before I put him in the hospital tank. I will see what happens in the next few days. I will say his condition seems to have gotten worse since, but I am treating with cipro now.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow this by @OrionN as this is the best chance for the nem, as everything points to a bacterial infection.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just follow this by @OrionN as this is the best chance for the nem, as everything points to a bacterial infection.

Yes I am. Should I be worried about the same infection in my other two nems in the display tank?

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes I am. Should I be worried about the same infection in my other two nems in the display tank?
If they are not showing signs, I would say no for now. That nem could have been wild caught and your other nems were not. A lot of times this is the issue, since wild nems are not conditioned to life in our tanks like splits from a long established nem.

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If they are not showing signs, I would say no for now. That nem could have been wild caught and your other nems were not. A lot of times this is the issue, since wild nems are not conditioned to life in our tanks like splits from a long established nem.
I'll keep an eye on them. They seemed fine although today one of them closed up =/ but I think they usually do that at night time.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'll keep an eye on them. They seemed fine although today one of them closed up =/ but I think they usually do that at night time.
Almost all of my bta close at night. And usually just as the lights start to ramp down.
Just watch for deflation during the day, numerous limp tentacles and a gaping mouth. If they start to do that, they may require treatment.

Eagle_Steve

Grandpa of Cronies
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just for reference. I have rbta in my macro tank. So do not worry about the bulb you are using. I am using LED 5000k grow lights and the nems do fine. Granted mine is higher wattage, but for treatment, so not let that bother you. White light contains all spectrums.

Flow was off for pic, so tents are just laid out.
CE58AF1B-AEED-43AB-B28F-999F223CCFF9.jpeg

OP
OP
A

airedwin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
And just for reference. I have rbta in my macro tank. So do not worry about the bulb you are using. I am using LED 5000k grow lights and the nems do fine. Granted mine is higher wattage, but for treatment, so not let that bother you. White light contains all spectrums.

Flow was off for pic, so tents are just laid out.
CE58AF1B-AEED-43AB-B28F-999F223CCFF9.jpeg
I see, cool.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back