Cloudiness after using ReefBuffer 8.3

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reef Buffer to raise my ph, I knew it would make the aquarium cloudy and it made the glass white (used last night). My question is what is the best way to clean the glass with the white particles on the glass.

You can see where I used an Algae scraper but it’s barely working.

image.jpg image.jpg

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Why are you adding a buffer? Buffers don't do anything but screw up your chemistry. Looks like you caused a major precipitation event

Upvote 1
OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Why are you adding a buffer? Buffers don't do anything but screw up your chemistry. Looks like you caused a major precipitation event
Because I was told to use it to raise my ph from 7.8 to 8.3 which it did. Also there’s no fish in there if you were wondering

Upvote 0

Hincapiej4

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Because I was told to use it to raise my ph from 7.8 to 8.3 which it did. Also there’s no fish in there if you were wondering
It doesn't do it permanently, and all you're doing is ****** up your alk.

You don't have anything in that tank at all. Once you get things going through photo, it'll fix itself. This currently is a non issue and you created an issue at this point. Just do your water tests and make sure it's ok.

Upvote 1

rtparty

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You'll likely need a massive water change to reset things.

Buffers are pointless since they jack up your alkalinity and the pH will just drop back down within a few hours

Upvote 0

elysics

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Best way woud probably be to clean out that tank, fill it back up with freshwater and citric acid and wait. Or just scrub with acid dissolved in water

And thouroughly rinse out the sand and break it up if theres clumping in it

Upvote 0
OP
OP
ChandlerTingle

ChandlerTingle

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m done with this. I mentally can’t take this anymore. Nothing ever works, I’m just mentally done now. Try to fix something and end up causing another problem.

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I used Reef Buffer to raise my ph, I knew it would make the aquarium cloudy and it made the glass white (used last night). My question is what is the best way to clean the glass with the white particles on the glass.

You can see where I used an Algae scraper but it’s barely working.

image.jpg image.jpg
Careful with that stuff. It sent my first tanks Alkalinity DKH through the roof! Takes Forever to lower. It will start snowing in your tank!

Upvote 0

TnFishwater98

Drink more fishwater there! And I still want more!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m done with this. I mentally can’t take this anymore. Nothing ever works, I’m just mentally done now. Try to fix something and end up causing another problem.
It’s all good. Take a breath. My LFS screwed me over by recommending this. Just do Large water changes with good saltwater every other day or 3 days. It will lower. I use to get nervous when issue pop up in my tank. Now I just try not to dose or do anything dramatic in the heat of the moment but slowly do things that I know is good for the tank. Not sure how long this tank has been going but definitely not a goner, I’ll try and read you older post issues to try and figure what you have been through.
Tanks!
BD

Upvote 0

dvgyfresh

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have an almost full bottle of the stuff in my cabinet we all make mistakes lol, ph of 7.8 is nothing to worry about, atleast you didn’t pour it over a poor fish or urchin in my case

Upvote 0

Thjhiggins

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't do it permanently, and all you're doing is ****** up your alk.

You don't have anything in that tank at all. Once you get things going through photo, it'll fix itself. This currently is a non issue and you created an issue at this point. Just do your water tests and make sure it's ok.
WE ARE ALL TOLD TO KEEP CORALS IN A HIGH PH, HIGH ALK AQUARIUM, THIS PRODUCT WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME AS WELL AND I HABE AN ACRTLIC TANK AND CANT EVEN TRY A RAZOR. I HABE TRIED EVERY BRUSH WITH NO EFFECT. I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING INSIDE MY AQUARIUM AT ALL. I WAS TOLD MY CORALS ALL NEED A HIGH PH AND ALK AND THAT THIS WAS THE PRODUCT TO KEEP THEM IN BALANCE! IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME..... I WILL BE SO HAPPY AND BE GLAD TO REPAY THE FAVOR IN ANY WAY I CAN! THANKS SO MUCH, I DON'T KNOW OF ANOTHER PRODUCT TO KEEP PH AND ALK NICE AND HIGH IN A NANO TANK. HELP ME OUT GUYS AND GALS! I HAVE SOME COOL LIGHTS (LED) I CAN SEND YOU (100% SERIOUS) EMAIL TIM

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

John K

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Buffer" is an alkalinity additive. The buffer effect comes with alkalinity in the normal seawater range. Once the alk is in the normal range, it won't raise the PH anymore by adding more, but it will raise your alk beyond normal which will be it's own problem. "buffers" sold for saltwater are misleading and confuse newer hobbyists in situations like this, hence the salty replies from others.

You sould get an alk test and start monitoring that. Only add alk / "buffer" if the alk is low.

If your PH remains depressed when your alk is in the normal range, it is being caused by elevated Co2.

This is a tough hobby, the learning curve is brutal. Hang in there.

Upvote 0

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
WE ARE ALL TOLD TO KEEP CORALS IN A HIGH PH, HIGH ALK AQUARIUM, THIS PRODUCT WAS RECOMMENDED TO ME AS WELL AND I HABE AN ACRTLIC TANK AND CANT EVEN TRY A RAZOR. I HABE TRIED EVERY BRUSH WITH NO EFFECT. I CAN'T SEE ANYTHING INSIDE MY AQUARIUM AT ALL. I WAS TOLD MY CORALS ALL NEED A HIGH PH AND ALK AND THAT THIS WAS THE PRODUCT TO KEEP THEM IN BALANCE! IF ANYONE CAN HELP ME... I WILL BE SO HAPPY AND BE GLAD TO REPAY THE FAVOR IN ANY WAY I CAN! THANKS SO MUCH, I DON'T KNOW OF ANOTHER PRODUCT TO KEEP PH AND ALK NICE AND HIGH IN A NANO TANK. HELP ME OUT GUYS AND GALS! I HAVE SOME COOL LIGHTS (LED) I CAN SEND YOU (100% SERIOUS) EMAIL TIM.

I removed your email address from your post. The question has been addressed in your other threads.

Upvote 0

Cali Reef Life

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just relax stop chasing numbers you don't have anything yet. constancy is more important then a number. Clean glass with metal scraper or razor blade and get beginner coral when done. Get one or 2 and see if it grows might want to look at dipping coral videos online prior to putting in tank. You don't need to master calculus 4 to shop at a grocery store. Point being is there's a lot of information on reef tanks just keep nitrites 0 and ammonia at 0 and the salinity at right level . This will grow most hardy beginner coral.

Upvote 0

Fusion in reefing: How do you feel about grafted corals?

• I strongly prefer grafted corals and I seek them out to put in my tank.

Votes: 2 3.8%
  • I find grafted corals appealing and would be open to having them in my tank.

Votes: 32 60.4%
  • I am indifferent about grafted corals and am not enthusiastic about having them in my tank.

Votes: 13 24.5%
  • I have reservations about grafted corals and would generally avoid having them in my tank.

Votes: 5 9.4%
  • I have a negative perception and would avoid having grafted corals in my tank.

Votes: 1 1.9%
Back