Cloudy Aquarium Glass After cleaning

Mitch0928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
C7760B56-77AA-4FAC-8427-58CE49E2F9B2.jpeg

This is my 55 gallon tank. It was just used for fish but I am now trying to sell it. I noticed once I brought it outside that the glass was extremely cloudy. I tried to scrub the glass with a non abrasive sponge and some white distilled vinegar but that didn’t work. I’m afraid I have no idea how to remove this If anyone has had any experience with this or has any idea how to remove the cloudiness, I would greatly appreciate any input

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can be removed from the glass, lots of acid, razor blades, and elbow grease will do the trick...

However, sometimes the haziness of the glass can only be rectified with cerium oxide powder and no amount of acid or razor blades will touch the haziness. I would probably only go to this step after exhausting the first steps and ensuring a long enough soak of the acid. If you do decide to use cerium oxide, watch some videos on youtube about the process. Then, it's up to you whether it's worth the effort or not.

OP
OP
Mitch0928

Mitch0928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If it can be removed from the glass, lots of acid, razor blades, and elbow grease will do the trick...

However, sometimes the haziness of the glass can only be rectified with cerium oxide powder and no amount of acid or razor blades will touch the haziness. I would probably only go to this step after exhausting the first steps and ensuring a long enough soak of the acid. If you do decide to use cerium oxide, watch some videos on youtube about the process. Then, it's up to you whether it's worth the effort or not.
Thank you for the response. What acid are you referring to? I am going to try the razer blades and acid

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acid is less important here than the concentration. You could try soaking it in plain vinegar (5%) or if you want, you could dilute muriatic acid out to help. Unfortunately, I've had a few with this type of haziness, and when it's related to calcium carbonate formation, the acid works, but many required buffing. There are quite a few threads on RC if you want to see other examples.

OP
OP
Mitch0928

Mitch0928

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The acid is less important here than the concentration. You could try soaking it in plain vinegar (5%) or if you want, you could dilute muriatic acid out to help. Unfortunately, I've had a few with this type of haziness, and when it's related to calcium carbonate formation, the acid works, but many required buffing. There are quite a few threads on RC if you want to see other examples.
Got it. So if I soak the tank in the vinegar, should I try to scrape it with a razer blade?

andrewey

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yeah, I would soak overnight with the tank on one side, so you don't have to fill up the entire tank. After that, try fresh razor blades to see if it comes off.

asperkolls

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I purchased a used aquarium with rear overflow. It is a 220 gallon. Only the front glass is hazy. Had a foam 3d background on opposite wall. Where I temporarily had suction cups, it cleared (where the polishing filter was for a few days. ) I don't under stand why that would have made a difference. Would love to make it clear. I cannot turn on its side, should I try vinegar soak? Fill up the tank and add vinegar? Clr? Bleach? Will either of them cause an issue with the silicone? Don't want to turn my basement into a pool ;). It's just dissapointind to have such beautiful fish and not be able to see them as clearly as possible.
1000042366.jpg
1000042364.jpg

davidwarner63

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
OK, old thread but I found the answer! Worked for me anyway...Meguiaris PlastX Clear Plastic Cleaner and Polish. I went over it couple of times, lots of elbow grease. Followed up with vinegar wipe down and then clear water rinse. Did the trick. PlastX can be found in automotive stores and probably on Amazon.

Looking for the spotlight: Do your fish notice the lighting in your reef tank?

• My fish seem to regularly respond to the lighting in my reef tank.

Votes: 95 76.0%
  • My fish seem to occasionally respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 15 12.0%
  • My fish seem to rarely respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 8 6.4%
  • My fish seem to never respond to the lighting in my tank.

Votes: 1 0.8%
  • I don’t pay enough attention to my fish to notice if they respond to the lighting.

Votes: 2 1.6%
  • I don’t have any fish in my tank.

• Other.

Back