cloudy eye

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've had this porcupine puffer for six weeks and it always had a odd eye but just thought he was blind.Now it is totally cloudy the last two days and sitting on the bottom not eating.

20231117_073320.jpg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I've had this porcupine puffer for six weeks and it always had a odd eye but just thought he was blind.Now it is totally cloudy the last two days and sitting on the bottom not eating.

20231117_073320.jpg
This can have stemmed from injury as puffers often glass surf ( going up and down the glass) and are also clumsy.
Assure ammonia and nitrate are not elevated. If not, treat in a separate setting with Maracyn , Not Maracyn oxy or seachem kanaplex

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

20231117_073320.jpg
Is the other eye a little cloudy also?
Is it breathing fast?

At first, I just thought this was an eye bump, but that shouldn’t have caused the fish to stop eating.

Jay

OP
OP
D

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is the other eye a little cloudy also?
Is it breathing fast?

At first, I just thought this was an eye bump, but that shouldn’t have caused the fish to stop eating.

Jay
It ate yesterday and the other eye is fine.

OP
OP
D

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This can have stemmed from injury as puffers often glass surf ( going up and down the glass) and are also clumsy.
Assure ammonia and nitrate are not elevated. If not, treat in a separate setting with Maracyn , Not Maracyn oxy or seachem kanaplex
Is fritz the only Brad with maracyn

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
OP
OP
D

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried fritz maracyn and my clown and domino damsel died less than 12 hours.The puffer is still alive but barely.His other eye is just as bad so i guess he's blind.It was worth a try but why did my fish die.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i tried fritz maracyn and my clown and domino damsel died less than 12 hours.The puffer is still alive but barely.His other eye is just as bad so i guess he's blind.It was worth a try but why did my fish die.
Maracyn 1, properly dosed won’t kill fish. It can cause an ammonia rise, but that takes 24 to 48 hours to show up.

Jay

OP
OP
D

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maracyn 1, properly dosed won’t kill fish. It can cause an ammonia rise, but that takes 24 to 48 hours to show up
Maracyn 1, properly dosed won’t kill fish. It can cause an ammonia rise, but that takes 24 to 48 hours to show up.

Jay
my scorpion got the cloudy eye and you could see what appeared to be a worm or parisite.Went completely bling .Last night my lion died and my fox face and coral beaty have the same thing.So my tank is wiped out.How do i fix this diseased tand for future fish?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

Are there any invertebrates in the tank? If so, you just should leave the tank running with no fish for 60 days. If the tank is completely empty, no animals at all, you can drain it, refill with frechwater, let it run for a day, dump that water and refill with seawater and start the cycle back up.

Jay

OP
OP
D

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear.

Are there any invertebrates in the tank? If so, you just should leave the tank running with no fish for 60 days. If the tank is completely empty, no animals at all, you can drain it, refill with frechwater, let it run for a day, dump that water and refill with seawater and start the cycle back up.

Jay
I'm thinking about turning it fresh water,so would i drain it also?I just bought a flowerhorn a few weeks ago and it needs a bigger tank.Probably get a a 125 soon for salt.

OP
OP
D

dwint

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm thinking about turning it fresh water,so would i drain it also?I just bought a flowerhorn a few weeks ago and it needs a bigger tank.Probably get a a 125 soon for salt.
should i clean all filter media also

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
should i clean all filter media also

Depending on what type of media you have; sponges and fiber media just need to be rinsed with freshwater, Carbon and other chemical filtration material should be replaced.

Jay

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 24 14.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 6.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 23 13.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 95 57.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 11 6.7%
Back