Cloudy eyes and possibly fin rot?

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! I need your help with an issue I’m having with my Vlamingi Tang.
When I came home yesterday, I noticed that my tang had two cloudy eyes, one almost fully cloudy, and the other, just barely starting to become cloudy. This issue isn’t new. The tang has always had a partially cloudy eye for the last year and it never got worse so I didn’t worry about it, but now it is starting to appear on the other eye. Also, a new issue, I noticed that two of its fins, it’s backfin and one of its front, is starting to deteriorate. Not sure if this is from fighting or from an infection. My fish are peaceful most of the time, I never see crazy aggression, and I observe my tank often.

I am confused because all my parameters are on point. I do weekly 15% water changes. My nitrate is at 5, phosphate below 0.03. Magnesium at 1350, calcium at 430. I have my fish on a good diet as I feed four different types of frozen food throughout the week as well as algae. I’m certain that there’s nothing that I’m doing to cause this fish to deteriorate. The fish is eating happily even with the issues. It’s always been a happy fish. So I am at the point where I want to pull it out to quarantine and medicate it. What can I do in this instance for medication?

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish is no longer part of this site. I will bring in our own experts though. Can you please read through this and provide the information requested? Also some white light pics and a video will be necessary.

#fishmedic

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Like mentioned, without pics it’s impossible to say for sure. Knowing the full stocking would help to identify a potential aggressor as well.
Maracyn or kanaplex in qt can help treat any bacterial issues (which the cloudy eye sounds like).

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers! I need your help with an issue I’m having with my Vlamingi Tang.
When I came home yesterday, I noticed that my tang had two cloudy eyes, one almost fully cloudy, and the other, just barely starting to become cloudy. This issue isn’t new. The tang has always had a partially cloudy eye for the last year and it never got worse so I didn’t worry about it, but now it is starting to appear on the other eye. Also, a new issue, I noticed that two of its fins, it’s backfin and one of its front, is starting to deteriorate. Not sure if this is from fighting or from an infection. My fish are peaceful most of the time, I never see crazy aggression, and I observe my tank often.

I am confused because all my parameters are on point. I do weekly 15% water changes. My nitrate is at 5, phosphate below 0.03. Magnesium at 1350, calcium at 430. I have my fish on a good diet as I feed four different types of frozen food throughout the week as well as algae. I’m certain that there’s nothing that I’m doing to cause this fish to deteriorate. The fish is eating happily even with the issues. It’s always been a happy fish. So I am at the point where I want to pull it out to quarantine and medicate it. What can I do in this instance for medication?

Pictures and/or video would be needed. We need to determine if it is infection associated, or cataracts. Here is a basic primer I wrote on fish eye health:

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock:
Vlamingi Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Gold Nugget Maroon Clownfish
(In case you’re asking why I have so many tangs, these tangs have lived together for three years with no issues. I used to have a blue velvet damsel fish that was the aggressor of the tank which I removed and put into a smaller tank. There is minimal aggression between these tangs if any at all.)

Cleaner Shrimp
Coral Banded Shrimp
Blue Leg Crabs
Multiple turbo snails

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.5
Calcium: 430
Alk: 8.5
Mag: 1350
Phos: < 0.03
Nitrate: 5

Filtration: 30 gal sump
Red Sea Skimmer
Bio Balls in Refugium with Chaeto
Many types of Pods
Filter Socks
Carbon

I will post a picture of the tank and tang when I get home.

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Pictures and/or video would be needed. We need to determine if it is infection associated, or cataracts. Here is a basic primer I wrote on fish eye health:

Thanks for sharing this!

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Humblefish is no longer part of this site. I will bring in our own experts though. Can you please read through this and provide the information requested? Also some white light pics and a video will be necessary.

#fishmedic
Thanks for sharing, sir!

Sharkbait19

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stock:
Vlamingi Tang
Blue Hippo Tang
Powder Blue Tang
Yellow Tang
Gold Nugget Maroon Clownfish
(In case you’re asking why I have so many tangs, these tangs have lived together for three years with no issues. I used to have a blue velvet damsel fish that was the aggressor of the tank which I removed and put into a smaller tank. There is minimal aggression between these tangs if any at all.)

Cleaner Shrimp
Coral Banded Shrimp
Blue Leg Crabs
Multiple turbo snails

Parameters:
Salinity: 1.026
Ph: 8.5
Calcium: 430
Alk: 8.5
Mag: 1350
Phos: < 0.03
Nitrate: 5

Filtration: 30 gal sump
Red Sea Skimmer
Bio Balls in Refugium with Chaeto
Many types of Pods
Filter Socks
Carbon

I will post a picture of the tank and tang when I get home.
Even if you don’t notice, just about all of those fish definitely have the potential to get aggressive.

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are the pictures that you requested. You can clearly see the cloudy eye. Also, the tail fin and the right pectoral fin seems to either have fin rot or damage.

Attachments

• IMG_1808.jpeg
    IMG_1808.jpeg
    190.9 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1805.jpeg
    IMG_1805.jpeg
    124 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1803.jpeg
    IMG_1803.jpeg
    128.9 KB · Views: 11

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So here are the pictures that you requested. You can clearly see the cloudy eye. Also, the tail fin and the right pectoral fin seems to either have fin rot or damage.

That does look like a cataract. Most eye infections (from injury or disease) show up on the external portion of the eye, and this is clearly deep-seated, with the surface of the eye being clear.

Cataracts are often a result of "old age" in fish, but that is clearly not the case with this juvenile tang. I've had veterinarians tell me that these can have an environmental cause, but they were unclear as to what can actually cause this. In Noga's book, he briefly mentions cataracts being caused by "rapid environmental changes" including salinity. He also cites "elevated temperature, rapid growth and nutritional status." as being a cause of this in salmon.

Jay

OP
OP
Agape1love4ever

Agape1love4ever

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That does look like a cataract. Most eye infections (from injury or disease) show up on the external portion of the eye, and this is clearly deep-seated, with the surface of the eye being clear.

Cataracts are often a result of "old age" in fish, but that is clearly not the case with this juvenile tang. I've had veterinarians tell me that these can have an environmental cause, but they were unclear as to what can actually cause this. In Noga's book, he briefly mentions cataracts being caused by "rapid environmental changes" including salinity. He also cites "elevated temperature, rapid growth and nutritional status." as being a cause of this in salmon.

Jay
Thanks for the info. So would it be a waste of time to quarantine the fish then? I was thinking of dosing Kanaplex.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the info. So would it be a waste of time to quarantine the fish then? I was thinking of dosing Kanaplex.

IMO, yes, I don't think that will help with cataracts.

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 137 43.2%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 110 34.7%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 49 15.5%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 16 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 1.6%
Back