Cloudy spots on Porcupine Puffer fins

nnhchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've recently noticed some cloudy spots on my puffer's fins, with one of them being larger than the rest. He was in quarantine before we put him in the tank he lives in now, and no other fish have been added. We also only feed frozen prepared foods. He's swimming, eating, and exploring happily with no change in behavior. His eyes are also still bright and sparkly. Is this anything I should worry about or just monitor and see if anything changes? I really don't think it could be ick but I'd rather be safe than sorry.

VideoCapture_20230909-160007.jpg VideoCapture_20230909-160014.jpg VideoCapture_20230909-160039.jpg

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random spots are always a bit difficult to diagnose. These look more like damaged fin rays than ich, but you need to prepare for the worst, since porcupines are so prone to ich.
Watch the spots daily - if they come and go and change location it is more likely ich. If the spots stay in roughly the same numbers in the same location it is more likely damaged fin rays.
Jay

OP
OP
N

nnhchase

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Random spots are always a bit difficult to diagnose. These look more like damaged fin rays than ich, but you need to prepare for the worst, since porcupines are so prone to ich.
Watch the spots daily - if they come and go and change location it is more likely ich. If the spots stay in roughly the same numbers in the same location it is more likely damaged fin rays.
Jay
I wouldn't be surprised if it was damage. He has been getting more curious with the rockwork lately and swimming at the bottom of the tank, if the damage could happen from him scraping against it then I bet that's what it is.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 36 15.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 133 58.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 7.0%
Back