Cloudy water after cycle

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So my tank cycled in about 5 weeks. I added Dr Tims and used ammonia. Had a long battle with high nitrites which dropped after two large water changes and then the tank cycled.

Now I have diatoms (normal I know). I have added two hermits, a couple frags and one clownfish and have been testing all levels. Zero ammonia, zero nitrites, around 5ppm nitrates.

The problem is the water has gone through two very cloudy periods. The first was during the high nitrites, I did two large water changes back to back and it cleared. A few days later back to cloudy water. I also have a stringy bacteria looking stuff on glass and in corners on seams.

I used caribsea "life rock" and I drilled the rock which could be releasing particles from the drilling. But I'm not sure since it seems to appear suddenly with no changes in flow etc.

The water is smoky cloudy I can see the cloudiness being moved in the flow... corals open, fish fine.

Here is a link to previous cycle thread..
https://www.reef2reef.com/index.php?threads/223320/

Here is a filter sock after about 2 hours on my return
65e2c40ece142948c4f5dad16f001a6b.jpg

Here are some pics of cloudiness...

0e9c37ed879332d4b49a88b9f2542fbc.jpg

bd3000184b6eb7d7f98f0b793290d462.jpg

95a413ce65829527e832bb2d2784b6ab.jpg

Any thoughts?? Has been this way for about a week now...

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Forgot that part.. carbon in a reactor since day one (changed regularly)

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Me either

Ran a canister for about 5 hours and it made no noticeable difference.. there are some larger particles floating but the cloudy milky water is still there...

Some of the stuff floating is definitely alive and moving around like floating pods??

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yea have a skimmer.. but does it when skimmer off as well.. definitely smaller than micro bubbles too... I have had them in previous setups...

The pods have absolutely exploded and cover the glass and every large particle floating is a pod swimming in the water...

Russ265

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on bacterial bloom.

no amount of carbon or water changes will solve it. usually they extend it.

turn the lights up and itll burn itself out in 72 hours generally.

carbon helps on older systems, but i have a feeling your surfaces are getting coated with slime, which is their food source.

good luck

edit: is that a birdsnest on the rock? and some other lps below it?

...oh boy

HiddenUser

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bacteria bloom for sure! Just ride it out and it'll clear up on its own.

OP
OP
GOSKN5

GOSKN5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1 on bacterial bloom.

no amount of carbon or water changes will solve it. usually they extend it.

turn the lights up and itll burn itself out in 72 hours generally.

carbon helps on older systems, but i have a feeling your surfaces are getting coated with slime, which is their food source.

good luck

edit: is that a birdsnest on the rock? and some other lps below it?

...oh boy
Thanks for the help.. yea I put a couple frags in.. all levels test fine and it's been cycling for over 6 weeks.. frags have been open and extended..

this isn't my first tank.. just the first i have done without live rock to start... never experienced a bloom such as this with the live rock...

Lenny_S

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the bacteria bloom and that you just need to ride it out... Be mindful of your pH while you are going through this. Large aerobic bacteria blooms can really drive up the CO2 and thus lower your pH. Lots of exposed surface area for the water and skimming will help.

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a bacteria bloom while setting up my new tank with fully cured live rock. IMO it is a symptom of new tanks and not a result of the rock used.

esolo16

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yep, time is your friend. These kind of bacteria blooms are not a threat to anything other then decreasing oxygen levels, so make sure you have plenty of surface agitation. I have heard uv sterilizers will help the process if you really want to speed things up but I personally I have not used one.

Salty0331

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the bacteria bloom and that you just need to ride it out... Be mindful of your pH while you are going through this. Large aerobic bacteria blooms can really drive up the CO2 and thus lower your pH. Lots of exposed surface area for the water and skimming will help.

+1 Like Lenny said make sure you have good aeration.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 47.6%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 19 22.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 7.1%
Back