OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fluval may not be keeping up with tank as it is a mechanical filter only which is why I asked specific questions. UV will penetrate shades and blinds and curtain- the power of UV will surprise you. Back to filter:
The issue with using canister filter is that it is your primary source of filtration which is mechanical and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The power filter will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge. It also can promote nitrates and even phosphates.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces.
You are lacking some forms of necessary filtration. A hang on back refugium, even a hang on skimmer such as Ice cap K1or K2 series will work flawlessly and help with overall waste removal.

On your phos- Is it .5 or.05 ?
keep a pouch of ChemiPure Elite in your canister to help with Phos control.
In my filter I have four levels with a pre filter sponge. Bottom is bio sponge second level is ceramic media Third level is carbon pack and last level is filter floss. I will definitely be looking into a hang on back refugium or skimmer. I thought the phosphate wasn’t bad but I was wrong. It is 0.5 I think my lowest has ever been was 0.03 I wish I kept it there. I just added a lot of dry rock after I upgraded my tank. I kept the old rock I had though. Thank you for your very informative response as I needed to know this stuff

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
In my filter I have four levels with a pre filter sponge. Bottom is bio sponge second level is ceramic media Third level is carbon pack and last level is filter floss. I will definitely be looking into a hang on back refugium or skimmer. I thought the phosphate wasn’t bad but I was wrong. It is 0.5 I think my lowest has ever been was 0.03 I wish I kept it there. I just added a lot of dry rock after I upgraded my tank. I kept the old rock I had though. Thank you for your very informative response as I needed to know this stuff
Phosphate is just right.
Place a sheet of black construction paper from Walmart on the side of the tank that faces the window- It will help with the bloom and UV light at the tank.

OP
OP
robreefer91

robreefer91

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is just right.
Place a sheet of black construction paper from Walmart on the side of the tank that faces the window- It will help with the bloom and UV light at the tank
So I just remembered I had the lights set on moonlight at goodnight could that have contributed as well?

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
So I just remembered I had the lights set on moonlight at goodnight could that have contributed as well?
generally bright whites will contribute to bloom

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Phosphate is just right.
Place a sheet of black construction paper from Walmart on the side of the tank that faces the window- It will help with the bloom and UV light at the tank.
.5 phosphate is just right? That's over 5x the preferred level.

High pressure shells: Do you look for signs of stress in the invertebrates in your reef tank?

• I regularly look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 40 32.5%
  • I occasionally look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 28 22.8%
  • I rarely look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 24 19.5%
  • I never look for signs of invertebrate stress in my reef tank.

Votes: 31 25.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back