Cloudy water Debris

AquaPhilNJ

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
From a distance one would say that water is crystal clear. Close up, hmm okay has some circulating debris. From the side view, hmm something's wrong with this aquarium.

I'm not even sure how long this has been an issue. Tank is 4 years old but every 2 years I had to move apartments; then I had a semi restart of tank; 11 months since I last moved; however I believe that is neither here nor there.

I don't believe this is a bacteria bloom because this has been noticeably cloudy since 03/08; I am under the impression bacteria blooms are short lived. I do have minor Cyano issue. To be clear, looking from the front in, I can't really tell the if the water is cloudy. Therefore I would say it isn't that bad, but I want to do better. The side view looks very cloudy, as I said already.

I'm not so sure a picture has the ability to capture what i'm seeing. I only have a cellphone : /

I am considering purchasing a new sump return pump at 550 gph, but i'm not so sure that would do anything.

Live rock is highly stacked to 5 inches below water surface.

My reef tank

55 gallon aquarium, corner overflow. Exact tank here: http://www.deepblueprofessional.com/reef-ready.html

Powerhead: Two Sicce Voyager 3, running alternately (one at a time).
Placement: Pointed up to agitation water surface as much as possible. Positioned high near water surface.
https://us.sicce.com/en/products/stream-pumps/voyager.html

Sump filtration DIY 10 gallon:
Biopellets ~1/4 cup worth (instructions say to use 1 cup for 55g tank) ; Uses BRS reactor.
GAC carbon reactor ; ~100 ml worth (instructions say to use 250ml for 50g tank) ; uses BRS reactor
Skimmer ; reef-octopus; rated for 150 gallon tank.
Single large draw string filter sock from BRS , wrapped around vinyl tubing. 200 Micron Felt Filter sock
Return: (357 GPH) Syncra silent 1.5 pump.

Params:
KH 9.0 dkh
NH3 0 ppm
CA 450 ppm
MG 1430 ppm
Nitrate 0.75 ppm
Ph 7.9
PO4 0 ppm
SG 1.026
Temp 79F

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Could it be micro bubbles?
Without a picture we are sort of at a disadvantage.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 65 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.0%
Back