Cloudy water & slime

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, all

So disaster struck my tank out of the clear blue. As of the this last week, my tank has been cloudy. clear/white slime is just now showing up. My tank also, inconveniently, is dealing with a very minor case of red cyano. I am confused on how this happened, my tank has been doing absolutely amazing for months now! As a result, my corals have been closed up and I lost a few so far.

One of my cleaner shrimp went missing, last I saw him was when he was cleaning the anemone— maybe the clownfish got possessive? I say this because my nitrates skyrocketed from 5ppm to just about 40ppm over the course of a couple days. I think this is causing all the ruckus in my tank.

As of yesterday, I scrambled to setup a tote/tub and temporarily relocate my corals there. However, in my display, the remaining shrimp and both fish are doing amazing even with all of this going on. I left my mushroom coral in the display as well, as he is not seeming to be effected. One of the 3 anemones is seeming to deflate, but I heard they do this. Is it coincidence or is it in result of my tanks current status?

I have been dosing my tank, as of yesterday, with Seachem Clarity, Seachem pristine, and some bottled beneficial bacteria.

All of this seemed to happen the day or two following me introducing copepods and two anemones into my tank about three or four days ago… can this also be a possibility? I also dosed two days following with Red Sea nitrate/phosphate reducer when I noticed a slight spike.

I have so many questions to ask, and things to think of… but I do not know where to start.

Tank setup:
29 gallon display
10gallon sump
Two powerheads (one at surface)
Sicce return pump
Filter sock
Fluval protein skimmer
Live rock and live sand (display and sump)
****HOB filter on sump right now for extra filtration during all of this
****my filter sock will get dirty after a day or two and turn almost a orange/red since all of this.

I cannot relay water parameters as of currently because I’m at work writing this.

Attachments

• filtered-66F33889-7AF9-4433-B323-57EEB2C393F3.mp4
    2.2 MB
Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some concerns about the filtration on your tank, it seems to be minimal filtration.
It seems to have minimal rock, personally I would add more.
I don't know how much flow those powerheads produce, they look kind of small.
Filter sock would need to be changed often, and hob filter in the sump, IMO, provides no benefit, since there is already a sock.
What kind of fluval skimmer, the F1? I don't think that skimmer is adequate for your water volume.

1692115270717.png

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What have you been feeding - and/or dosing. Cloudy water is usually a bacterial bloom or precipitation. Your light does not look strong enough for an anemone? My guess is that you had an ammonia spike due to something dying - I would check this. How did you cycle your tank

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Hello, all

So disaster struck my tank out of the clear blue. As of the this last week, my tank has been cloudy. clear/white slime is just now showing up. My tank also, inconveniently, is dealing with a very minor case of red cyano. I am confused on how this happened, my tank has been doing absolutely amazing for months now! As a result, my corals have been closed up and I lost a few so far.

One of my cleaner shrimp went missing, last I saw him was when he was cleaning the anemone— maybe the clownfish got possessive? I say this because my nitrates skyrocketed from 5ppm to just about 40ppm over the course of a couple days. I think this is causing all the ruckus in my tank.

As of yesterday, I scrambled to setup a tote/tub and temporarily relocate my corals there. However, in my display, the remaining shrimp and both fish are doing amazing even with all of this going on. I left my mushroom coral in the display as well, as he is not seeming to be effected. One of the 3 anemones is seeming to deflate, but I heard they do this. Is it coincidence or is it in result of my tanks current status?

I have been dosing my tank, as of yesterday, with Seachem Clarity, Seachem pristine, and some bottled beneficial bacteria.

All of this seemed to happen the day or two following me introducing copepods and two anemones into my tank about three or four days ago… can this also be a possibility? I also dosed two days following with Red Sea nitrate/phosphate reducer when I noticed a slight spike.

I have so many questions to ask, and things to think of… but I do not know where to start.

Tank setup:
29 gallon display
10gallon sump
Two powerheads (one at surface)
Sicce return pump
Filter sock
Fluval protein skimmer
Live rock and live sand (display and sump)
****HOB filter on sump right now for extra filtration during all of this
****my filter sock will get dirty after a day or two and turn almost a orange/red since all of this.

I cannot relay water parameters as of currently because I’m at work writing this.
The pictures were very helpful as its clear to see whats happening- Regarding cyano and slime, you have very little water movement and allowing it to accumulate. In addition, your tank is right below a window in which the UV which can penetrate shades-blinds and curtains is promoting algae and added light to tank. Your water level is quite low creating very little movement, ability for power filter to properly function and reduce surface water movement. As for filtration, the power filter unit is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The power filter will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
What is causing cyano- some examples are and things to check:
lack of removal of inorganics
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding dry rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development

Last edited:

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say a nem is prolly dying and you got a bacterial bloom going on.. I’d add a airstone to get some o2 in the water column since you don’t have a skimmer or anything! Also change 20% of water and run some carbon if you’re not!

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
"Red Sea nitrate/phosphate reducer"

Feed the bacteria and a bloom may follow.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have some concerns about the filtration on your tank, it seems to be minimal filtration.
It seems to have minimal rock, personally I would add more.
I don't know how much flow those powerheads produce, they look kind of small.
Filter sock would need to be changed often, and hob filter in the sump, IMO, provides no benefit, since there is already a sock.
What kind of fluval skimmer, the F1? I don't think that skimmer is adequate for your water volume.

1692115270717.png
I am running a Fluval ps1, it was an emergency purchase. The HOB was a “welp, won’t hurt to try” kind of thing as well. As for the rocks, the others I had in the tank are in the tub with my corals right now. Had to do an “instant cycle” kind of thing, I didn’t have many options so I was forced by a hand practically. The power heads are a Fluval cp2 (running over the rocks) and a 500gph running on the surface. My corals do not like much flow: mushrooms, acans, leather tree, Duncan, zoanthids.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’d say a nem is prolly dying and you got a bacterial bloom going on.. I’d add a airstone to get some o2 in the water column since you don’t have a skimmer or anything! Also change 20% of water and run some carbon if you’re not!
Roger that. I am running carbon in the HOB along with filter floss. It’s a canister style HOB. I have a protein skimmer, Fluval ps1– emergency buy. And I got a 500gph powerhead pointed at the surface for O2

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What have you been feeding - and/or dosing. Cloudy water is usually a bacterial bloom or precipitation. Your light does not look strong enough for an anemone? My guess is that you had an ammonia spike due to something dying - I would check this. How did you cycle your tank
I am running a Fluval marine 3.0 24-36. That light is currently on the tub for the rescue coral but it is usually on my display tank. My corals are low light. The light on my display is the spare I had. I cycled my tank about 8-10 months ago.

Troylee

all about the diy!!!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am running a Fluval marine 3.0 24-36. That light is currently on the tub for the rescue coral but it is usually on my display tank. My corals are low light. The light on my display is the spare I had. I cycled my tank about 8-10 months ago.
Anemones are very high light! What kinda light is that? Looks like a stock aqeon light fixture with a t8 bulb.. if so that’s not enough.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The pictures were very helpful as its clear to see whats happening- Regarding cyano and slime, you have very little water movement and allowing it to accumulate. In addition, your tank is right below a window in which the UV which can penetrate shades-blinds and curtains is promoting algae and added light to tank. Your water level is quite low creating very little movement, ability for power filter to properly function and reduce surface water movement. As for filtration, the power filter unit is a mechanical filter and you want to have mechanical , biological and chemical to manage proper water quality. The power filter will polish water and trap particles via the cartridge.
Chemical is what traps and breaks down chemical compounds such as feces and uneaten food often accomplished carbon and GFO
Biological is what utilizes the natural process of biological filtration such as use of ceramic nuggets, bio blocks, and microscopic bacteria surfaces as examples. Best it to add or use a hang on refugium such as Reef octopus or AquaMaxx unit and even add a hang on skimmer such as ice cap K1- or K2 100
What is causing cyano- some examples are and things to check:
lack of removal of inorganics
- Overstocking / overfeeding, your aquarium with nutrients is often the culprit of a cyano bloom
- Adding dry rock that isn’t completely cured which acts like a breeding ground for red slime algae
- If you don’t change your water with enough frequency, you’ll soon have a brightly colored red slime algae bloom. Regular water changes dilute nutrients that feed cyanobacteria and keeps your tank clear
- Using a water source with nitrates or phosphates is like rolling out the welcome mat for cyano. Tap water is an example
- Inadequate water flow, or movement, is a leading cause of cyano blooms. Slow moving water combined with excess dissolved nutrients is a recipe for pervasive red slime algae development
Roger that, thank you. I have a 500gph powerhead pointing at the surface of the tank creating a lot of surface agitation. I have another powerhead pointing at the rocks— there are no dead spots in my tank. It just leaves me wondering!!! First chamber of my sump runs into a filter sock and protein skimmer, second chamber has live rocks and live sand and bioballs, 3rd chamber has just the return pump. Currently, the second chamber has a HOB canister filter with carbon in it.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anemones are very high light! What kinda light is that? Looks like a stock aqeon light fixture with a t8 bulb.. if so that’s not enough.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m running the standard aqueon led hood right now as my last resort for the fish. Because the Fluval I’ve been using is with the coral right now on the tub.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I apologize for my lack of communication, the light was turned off in that video/picture.

OP
OP

10galtank

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The light was not on in that picture/video!! I apologize for not addressing.

Cell

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
People must have missed your Nopox dosing comment. It is far and away the most likely culprit in your bacterial bloom and white slime.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 41 22.8%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 60 33.3%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 58 32.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 17 9.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.2%
Back