ID Brown jelly?

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put this frag in my 20 gallon two months ago and the Greenstar polyp frag was from my main display. That’s been in there for six months. I noticed it stopped opening about a week or two ago and now I see this slime on it. Not sure what it is. I also have a different flag of Greenstar pips in the tank that wasn’t opening, but doesn’t seem to have the slime on it.

Attachments

• IMG_3279.mov
    21.2 MB

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Put this frag in my 20 gallon two months ago and the Greenstar polyp frag was from my main display. That’s been in there for six months. I noticed it stopped opening about a week or two ago and now I see this slime on it. Not sure what it is. I also have a different flag of Greenstar pips in the tank that wasn’t opening, but doesn’t seem to have the slime on it.
do you have a microscope, this is the best way to analyze what it is, pictures or videos you have to download to watch are hard to tell sometimes, I want to say it looks like chrysophytes to me but under a microscope should tell you more ..

OP
OP
ajremington68

ajremington68

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have a microscope, this is the best way to analyze what it is, pictures or videos you have to download to watch are hard to tell sometimes, I want to say it looks like chrysophytes to me but under a microscope should tell you more ..
I do not have a microscope on hand, if it’s something bad just want to know so I can throw away the frag before it spreads in my tank.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I do not have a microscope on hand, if it’s something bad just want to know so I can throw away the frag before it spreads in my tank.
yeah, I know but if it's already in the tank it's already a to late kind of thing, but don't worry everything can be beaten one way or another, only a few things have to be thrown away or restarted.

I'd start by taking the frag out of the water and blast the jelly off with tank water and clean it off the best you can.

but I'd get a cheap microscope if you plan on being in the hobby other things will come up that could use microscope identification, I've had one for a long time for this reason. it can help to identify alot of things.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.3%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 78 55.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 9 6.4%
Back