Cloudy water

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to add to my order before it ships. How many do you reccomend on getting for these snails?
Pacific nerite snail, serith snail, trochus snail, turban snail, dwarf cerith snail, fighting conch snail, stomatella snail
It's a 55 gallon
prob 4's 2 conchs.

But do you guys think it is diatoms or dinos?
cyano;)

but probably diatom

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably 4's 2 conchs?
sorry.
I hate to spend others money BTW
4 of each snail. and only 2 chonchs. small or med turbos.
then in a month, recount them, the somas will hide, but they also breed, youll see them at night

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
sorry.
I hate to spend others money BTW
4 of each snail. and only 2 chonchs. small or med turbos.
then in a month, recount them, the somas will hide, but they also breed, youll see them at night
I will see what I can afford lol. But will for sure get some

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluezoo. I have some fish and hermits already ordered...so I'm just going to add them to that order so one shipping...
What kind of rock did you add to your tank "Live Rock or New Dry Rock"?

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1
OP's new system timing just about right for diatoms and to be expected.
Used dry rock...I had it in the tank, broke it down die to dinos, bleached the rock, and bleached the tank and then set it up after I rinsed the rock...

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bluezoo. I have some fish and hermits already ordered...so I'm just going to add them to that order so one shipping...
Your Algae: Question below
Does it get more pronounced the longer your lights are on and fades back during lights out as a daily pattern?

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used dry rock...I had it in the tank, broke it down die to dinos, bleached the rock, and bleached the tank and then set it up after I rinsed the rock...
FYI, I never used Dry Rock but I have an old reef and organics can get bound into Live Rock, trust me...
When the rock starts to leach out the bound in Phosphates the algae sucks in the phosphates. The phosphates never hit the water column because they're inside the algae. Tricking Test kits.
Same applies to Dry Rock.

Perry over on the Aquaforest form always acid washes his new Dry Rock to get out all the goodies that will leach out into your tank.

Here's a link that him and I have tried to explain to that OP.
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2616966

If your need to reach out to Perry on the AF forum over here, he's them man.

If you have diatoms just let them run they're the coarse, they will burn out of gas.

Last edited:

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thought there is. All that stuff on the rock is good for the tank and the ugly phase is a good Maturation.
Check out the red sea program for maturation. It's more controlled but similar.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The other thought there is. All that stuff on the rock is good for the tank and the ugly phase is a good Maturation.
Check out the red sea program for maturation. It's more controlled but similar.
I can see that side too. If OP can get past the ugly phase. OP would have a good start at a good mature bio bacteria system.
I've only dealt with old "live Rock" leaching. :( to finaly :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can see that side too. If OP can get past the ugly phase. OP would have a good start at a good mature bio bacteria system.
I've only dealt with old "live Rock" leaching. :( to finaly :)
yup, same here mostly. I personally have found it manageable in most cases. I did get the legendary BAD ROCK once, Leaching No and Po. High levels too. messed with me for months in 2 different tanks. thank goodness it was the most expensive rock I ever bought. Beautiful too, covered in thick coralline and polyps. I saved the polyps eventually and tossed the rock. Pretty good price really compared to what it taught me.

A simple test. put the rock in fresh salt water overnight. live or dry. test no and Po. likely it wont show No. If it registers Po use gfo to pull the Po off the rock. If it continues to show No after peroxide cleaning and time, its liley rotten to the core.

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yup, same here mostly. I personally have found it manageable in most cases. I did get the legendary BAD ROCK once, Leaching No and Po. High levels too. messed with me for months in 2 different tanks. thank goodness it was the most expensive rock I ever bought. Beautiful too, covered in thick coralline and polyps. I saved the polyps eventually and tossed the rock. Pretty good price really compared to what it taught me.

A simple test. put the rock in fresh salt water overnight. live or dry. test no and Po. likely it wont show No. If it registers Po use gfo to pull the Po off the rock. If it continues to show No after peroxide cleaning and time, its liley rotten to the core.
I sure miss that old "Premo Figi" rock I'd get back in the 90's.
My (lfs) would pick it up at the airport (almost) straight from the diver back then.
I'd get that rock home. Scrub it down in saltwater buckets and a scrubby pad.
The wife loved it: "Water and funk all over the kitchen floor. :eek:
Then I'd put that rock in the display and let it cycle for six weeks (total lights out) with no skimmer on.
Just rinsed out over flow box down pipe sponges.
About the fourth week I'd get that real deal "Rotten Smell" filling up the whole house. "Wife loved that too" :(
saltyfilmfolks,
After the six weeks were over. Hit the lights, skimmer , water change. Pow, this most awesome live rock to behold.
But, I'm glad they've come in to protect Figi and the Marshall islands :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I sure miss that old "Premo Figi" rock I'd get back in the 90's.
My (lfs) would pick it up at the airport (almost) straight from the diver back then.
I'd get that rock home. Scrub it down in saltwater buckets and a scrubby pad.
The wife loved it: "Water and funk all over the kitchen floor. :eek:
Then I'd put that rock in the display and let it cycle for six weeks (total lights out) with no skimmer on.
Just rinsed out over flow box down pipe sponges.
About the fourth week I'd get that real deal "Rotten Smell" filling up the whole house. "Wife loved that too" :(
saltyfilmfolks,
After the six weeks were over. Hit the lights, skimmer , water change. Pow, this most awesome live rock to behold.
But, I'm glad they've come in to protect Figi and the Marshall islands :)
I spoke to Walt Smith and his wife, ok mostly his wifeo_O, and its pretty amazing the what and how they have made the dramatic changes in Fiji and surrounding Islands. You probably read the stuff where he came under fire for selling the rock and he had to illustrate to the world that where he lives the make walls and foundations from the old dry coral. Hes still allowed to harvest X amount of live rock, but that's now at a premium, but that premium does contribute to the protection of the islands. He has a really good video of the talk in San Diego's Macna this year.
I do have the dream tank of getting some and just dropping it right in a tank one day. But I like hitchhikers so...
I do think the kids,newer reefers, (I should actually be among them) nowadays dont always know how to deal with truly live rock, and opt for sterile, mainly based on the hand cleaner craze we have been sold on..And theres so few internet guides on how to deal with truly live rock.

I am however, not allowed to go to Fiji now. For some reason my wife says I cant.:oops:

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I spoke to Walt Smith and his wife, ok mostly his wifeo_O, and its pretty amazing the what and how they have made the dramatic changes in Fiji and surrounding Islands. You probably read the stuff where he came under fire for selling the rock and he had to illustrate to the world that where he lives the make walls and foundations from the old dry coral. Hes still allowed to harvest X amount of live rock, but that's now at a premium, but that premium does contribute to the protection of the islands. He has a really good video of the talk in San Diego's Macna this year.
I do have the dream tank of getting some and just dropping it right in a tank one day. But I like hitchhikers so...
I do think the kids,newer reefers, (I should actually be among them) nowadays dont always know how to deal with truly live rock, and opt for sterile, mainly based on the hand cleaner craze we have been sold on..And theres so few internet guides on how to deal with truly live rock.

I am however, not allowed to go to Fiji now. For some reason my wife says I cant.:oops:
I can't imagine what the price per pound (for this below Statement) sells for.

"Hes still allowed to harvest X amount of live rock, but that's now at a premium, but that premium does contribute to the protection of the islands."

Good trouble: Have mushrooms ever become pests in your aquarium?

• Mushrooms would never be pests even if they kept replicating.

Votes: 26 16.0%
  • Mushrooms have not become a pest for me.

Votes: 68 42.0%
  • Mushroom have become overgrown, but not to the point of becoming pests.

Votes: 22 13.6%
  • Mushrooms have become pests in my aquarium.

Votes: 36 22.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 6.2%
Back