Cloudy water

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
None, it was just set up last month. So it's still a new tank. Dials are slowly fading away finally. Amd I've dosed vibrant 3 times
Like you said: "it was just set up last month. So it's still a new tank."

So, Stop dosing at let your tank and nature do it's thing. It will clear up on it's own :)

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok. My new test kits came in today for the normal tests...everything is good...0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 2 nitrate, 10 dkh, and 8.4 pH. I noticed red sea test kits are more accurate but in the long run api has the same results....

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Would putting new carbon in help out?
In my opinion: Carbon won't help your tank clear this up.
Leave the tank alone and let it run it's coarse.

There's an old saying in the reef hobby:

"The only thing that happen's fast in a reef...... IS BAD"

Patients, Patients and more Patients :)

ahiggins

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion: Carbon won't help your tank clear this up.
Leave the tank alone and let it run it's coarse.

There's an old saying in the reef hobby:

"The only thing that happen's fast in a reef...... IS BAD"

Patients, Patients and more Patients :)
Oh oh! Is it saltys that's sig is : the only thing that happens overnight is bad things...or something to that effect

GoVols

Cobb / Webb - 1989
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh oh! Is it saltys that's sig is : the only thing that happens overnight is bad things...or something to that effect
LOL
I have no clue, haven't seen "saltys" on a thread, yet...
I always heard the old saying: "Anything that happens after midnight...IS Bad" :)

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok now I'm noticing long strands of something. The question is if they are dinos or still just diatoms? Do diatoms form long strands?
1483589574488.jpg

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Youre putting straight bacteria into the system with nothing for it to eat.

Yup. that's what I thought as well. Bacterial bloom, but in this case it was introduced. I'm not all that familiar with Vibrant though, so good call on that. @domination2580 Stop dosing anything at all. Go back to basics.... testing, water changes that's it. The diatoms will clear up on their own with time. Heck, I've got diatoms coming in with a vengeance! It's all part of having a new tank. Hermit crabs will eat them too :)

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Essentially and actually are just words lol it's not stable. Which is what you need. Not vibrant.
Disclaimer-just my opinion. I used vibrant on a 3 month old tank. It nuked it. Consider yourself lucky.

Hmm..interesting.
yes. Its a very harsh treatment.

o_OAhem....."Nothing good happens fast in this hobby only bad things happen overnight, if you think you go slow, slow down even more" - Diesel
LOL
I have no clue, haven't seen "saltys" on a thread, yet...;)
I always heard the old saying: "Anything that happens after midnight...IS Bad" :)
Its quite likely a bacterial bloom, plus some of the die off from the vibrant.
Id stop that and get started on the water changes. as far as less invasive algae tratments, a turkey baster IMO should be first, a toothbrush next. If its pretty messy its ok to take it out of the tank to do it. You can use a light hydrogen peroxide for easy to kill algaes, rinse and drop it back in the tank.

Ok now I'm noticing long strands of something. The question is if they are dinos or still just diatoms? Do diatoms form long strands?
1483589574488.jpg
sounds mean but ill explain. it doesnt matter what it is generally, the cure is usually the same. Time and basic cleaning. this stage is also time to reevaluate your clean up crew.(and double check feeding) if you scrub problem spots theyll keep it mowed down in most cases. if it hangs on for weeks and months its time to worry.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yes. Its a very harsh treatment.

o_OAhem....."Nothing good happens fast in this hobby only bad things happen overnight, if you think you go slow, slow down even more" - Diesel

Its quite likely a bacterial bloom, plus some of the die off from the vibrant.
Id stop that and get started on the water changes. as far as less invasive algae tratments, a turkey baster IMO should be first, a toothbrush next. If its pretty messy its ok to take it out of the tank to do it. You can use a light hydrogen peroxide for easy to kill algaes, rinse and drop it back in the tank.

sounds mean but ill explain. it doesnt matter what it is generally, the cure is usually the same. Time and basic cleaning. this stage is also time to reevaluate your clean up crew.(and double check feeding) if you scrub problem spots theyll keep it mowed down in most cases. if it hangs on for weeks and months its time to worry.
What do you mean reevaluate clean up crew?

melypr1985

totally addicted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

He means maybe you don't have enough CUC to handle the new algae that is growing. Deciding if you need more snails or hermit or whatever to help control the new algae growth. I agree with this course of action as well.

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
do you have enough, and do you have a diverse amount based on wahts popping up in your tank and what your feeding it.
lemie find a thing from a genius

saltyfilmfolks

Lights! Camera! Reef!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What would you guys recommend. I have some hermits coming next week. Just had to for it in to schedule
posting at the same time. that thread will help identify what the different snails eat. I do prefer snails to most crabs.

OP
OP
domination2580

domination2580

Reef-a-nator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I will have to add to my order before it ships. How many do you reccomend on getting for these snails?
Pacific nerite snail, serith snail, trochus snail, turban snail, dwarf cerith snail, fighting conch snail, stomatella snail
It's a 55 gallon

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 10 30.3%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 12.1%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 7 21.2%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 11 33.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 3.0%
Back