Cloudy while mixing salt in bucket - but not tank?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah gotcha. I hear the same thing about reef crystals (brown residue) but I have always cleaned my brute can after every water change so haven't noticed any.

FWIW, I'm not sure that brown residue is calcium carbonate, that is present in normal IO and Red Sea Coral Pro. It may be related to the organic materials they add, but I'm not sure.

OP
OP
D

dburt520

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir.

I have never used IO, but I used RSCP for a long time in my 125G and 225G and always had the white / brown sludge after mixing for years (even in mixing station). Never worried about it since I just rinsed my bucket out when I was done.

The Fritz does not leave a residue at all, just the cloudiness while mixing, but thank you for answering my question.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you sir.

I have never used IO, but I used RSCP for a long time in my 125G and 225G and always had the white / brown sludge after mixing for years (even in mixing station). Never worried about it since I just rinsed my bucket out when I was done.

The Fritz does not leave a residue at all, just the cloudiness while mixing, but thank you for answering my question.

You're welcome.

These precipitates do not concern me either.

This has more:

What is that Precipitate in My Reef Aquarium? by Randy Holmes-Farley - Reefkeeping.com

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A bit of a nerco but I recently changed from Coral Pro back to Reef Crystals because it's so much less expensive and had this issue.. it mixes clear and all is fine (just a couple pumps in the barrel, no heater, no aeration) for a few days but then gets cloudy. The coral pro didn't do this.. Is this a bacterial bloom or something? there some slime left over from the previous mix.. Maybe I need to clean the barrel more with RC?

Sometimes I can't get to my water change for a few days but I like having a barrel of water ready... anyways.. I have used the water on my tank and all was fine but it just made me wonder a little though.. I'll just have to plan my water making / water change days better.. Coral Pro is like 4x the cost and I don't see any benefit other than the clouding issue... also maybe I need to aerate the water after a day or so? just run a small air pump on it? 32G barrel with ~25G of saltwater.

revenant

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It might be bacteria, but calcium carbonate is perhaps a more likely result.
Thanks for the reply. Should I aerate the water in the barrel? I have two pumps in it which does create some decent surface agitation.. I was thinking that's probably enough.. maybe for just a day before the water change with a heater(winter only) too?

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 1.3%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 24 15.6%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 73 47.4%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 49 31.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back