Mixing small quantity of water

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My question is does mixing small quantities of salt water change the parameters of the mix? Recently I bought 3 bags of IO sea salt and mixed a 5 gal bucket and noticed the cal and mag was so low. Bought some IO reef crystals and mixed up 5 gal and it tested even lower. Thought my new test kit was bad so I bought another set of salifert kits and they tested low as well. Getting ready to mix up up some red sea coral pro but was wondering if mixing 5 gal at a time changes the parameters? I've always used IO sea salt but never really payed attention to fresh mixed water parameters but after the past few months of adding coral and some dying and some still alive I'm struggling trying to understand why they are testing low.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It doesn't under normal circumstances. Whether you mix 5 of 50 or 500 it changes nothing provided that the salt mix is mixed correctly :) You would expect to open up a uniform bucket, every time!

I mix 750 liters every time because that corresponds to a full bucket, but if i mixed 10 liters, the composition and parameters should be the same.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My question is does mixing small quantities of salt water change the parameters of the mix? Recently I bought 3 bags of IO sea salt and mixed a 5 gal bucket and noticed the cal and mag was so low. Bought some IO reef crystals and mixed up 5 gal and it tested even lower. Thought my new test kit was bad so I bought another set of salifert kits and they tested low as well. Getting ready to mix up up some red sea coral pro but was wondering if mixing 5 gal at a time changes the parameters? I've always used IO sea salt but never really payed attention to fresh mixed water parameters but after the past few months of adding coral and some dying and some still alive I'm struggling trying to understand why they are testing low.
Yes - it can - since sometimes settling in salt packages occurs, etc. So the more salt you mix at one time, the more likely it would contain everything in the mix (so to speak). However, 5 gallons is not a 'small amount'. So 3 comments - it could be your test kits are wrong/expired or (no offense) your technique and I would double check those first, second it could be an odd batch of salt, and lastly - if it was an old bag/box and you didn't mix the salt before (i.e. mix the bag) it could be that

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
It doesn't. Whether you mix 5 of 50 or 500 it changes nothing provided that the salt mix is mixed correctly :) You would expect to open up a uniform bucket, every time!

I mix 750 liters every time because that corresponds to a full bucket, but if i mixed 10 liters, the composition and parameters should be the same.
Agreed, however It does matter if let's say someone is trying to mix a liter of salt. But totally agree with you 5 gallons should not normally be an issue. However, the chemicals in a 'bucket' can be uneven - and so if you don't mix it properly (the salt bucket) - there can be issues.

CasperOe

In it to win it!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Agreed, however It does matter if let's say someone is trying to mix a liter of salt. But totally agree with you 5 gallons should not normally be an issue. However, the chemicals in a 'bucket' can be uneven - and so if you don't mix it properly (the salt bucket) - there can be issues.
Theoretically - yes! Practically? Well, as you say, if you mix very small amounts you can indeed experience varied parameters between batches! :) I do believe that we would have to talk about very small quantities indeed and well below the 5 gallons that OP refers to.

You are right though, good that we cover all bases here! :D

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Theoretically - yes! Practically? Well, as you say, if you mix very small amounts you can indeed experience varied parameters between batches! :) I do believe that we would have to talk about very small quantities indeed and well below the 5 gallons that OP refers to.

You are right though, good that we cover all bases here! :D
And BTW - Probably (in fact in a huge percentage) you can mix small amounts with no issue (i.e. a gallon, etc) - thinking about the fact that some people lets say in an apartment might have a 5 gallon tank.

OP
OP
G

Greg B.

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well here is what I found out. 5 gal IO reef crystals mixed to 1.026 @78° mixed for 2 hrs comes out to 9.6dkh 180 cal and 320 mag. Red sea coral pro mixed to 1.026 @78° for 1 hr comes out to 12.8 dkh 450 cal and 1320 mg. Maybe it's 3 bad bags/ maybe not mixed long enough idk. But I'm gonna stick with the coral pro. Thanks for all of the insight everyone.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 20 14.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 10 7.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 22 15.4%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 80 55.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 10 7.0%
Back