Clove Polips are shrinking and I don’t know why

umutcancamci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello reefers,

It’s been around 8 months since established my 50cm cube tank. Since the beginning, I’ve been observing the slow growth of my corals. Last month, my clove polyps started to shrink and get smaller and lose their vibrant color. I’m trying to understand why but I have no clue. I’m using AI prime HD lighting and a Jebao ECP 50M gyre-type wave maker. Lighting is on for 8 hours in full-set. For the comparison, I added the GSP. The tentacles have stayed small since the beginning. There is no grass-like formation. I suspect lightning and current power in the tank due to the wave maker. Here is my water specifications:

Ca: 420
Mg: 1410
Nitrate: ~5
Phosphate: Barely detectable
Salinity: 1.026

I’m giving Red Sea AB+ every day.

IMG_9276.jpeg
IMG_9277.jpeg
IMG_9275.jpeg

Last edited:

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess that its due to the very low nutrients in your tank, there should be some measurable nitrates and phosphate. Especially for soft corals like gsp and cloves, they like "dirtier" water.

OP
OP
U

umutcancamci

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would guess that its due to the very low nutrients in your tank, there should be some measurable nitrates and phosphate. Especially for soft corals like gsp and cloves, they like "dirtier" water.
I'm heavily feeding my four fish even though they don't need that much and adding PO4+ product to get the phosphate to the detectable level. But it does not work at all. Nitrate and phos. The level stays the same. I would like to hear your opinion about increasing them to the desired levels.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back