Need Expert BTA Help

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got first small BTA about 9 months ago from LFS. Looked beautiful for about 3-4 weeks then closed up and has been that way for 8 months (will post a pic). About 3 months was gifted a larger BTA. Again, looked beautiful for 3-4 weeks then closed up. I have a 32G Coralife. Water parameters are stable. Had water tested at LFS to make sure my reading were correct. I use RO/DI water.
Salinity 1.025,
Nitrate 0
Alk 9.1
Phos < 0.25
Ph 8.1
CA 370
Mag 1280
Temp 78-79
Guy at LFS thought it might be the lights since I still had stock lighting so I upgraded to a Smatfarm light 2 months ago. No improvement. I also have a Mini Hygger wave maker. I have a hammer and some clove polyps that seem fine. Someone told my husband it could be metal in the water?? Not sure what that means. Anyway, I’m just about done with it. Unless someone has an a-ha moment and can tell me what’s wrong I’m giving up. Posting
IMG_4535.jpeg
IMG_4534.jpeg
IMG_4536.jpeg
IMG_4537.jpeg
pics of both BTAs, the hammer and the clove polyps

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nitrates at zero are not good. How are you testing nitrate and how confident are you in that number?
I use a Hanna meter and double check with a Salifert. Has only been at 0 for a short time. Was usually between 10-20 and then I got some Chaeto which tanked the Nitrates. But like I said, this is recent. Probably just the last month so I don’t think that’s the main issue.

EeyoreIsMySpiritAnimal

Just another girl who likes fish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use a Hanna meter and double check with a Salifert. Has only been at 0 for a short time. Was usually between 10-20 and then I got some Chaeto which tanked the Nitrates. But like I said, this is recent. Probably just the last month so I don’t think that’s the main issue.
Your calcium and mag are on the low side for corals (i.e. your hammer, which actually looks like a frammer or frogspawn), so as you're adjusting nutrients, you might want to slowly raise those too.

OP
OP
M

mamacta

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Your calcium and mag are on the low side for corals (i.e. your hammer, which actually looks like a frammer or frogspawn), so as you're adjusting nutrients, you might want to slowly raise those too.
Thank you. I have both supplements on hand so I will give them a boost!

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 13.0%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 113 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back