Clove Polyps for back wall?

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So I have seen very nice GSP back walls. Would clove polyps work as well?

1. Any issues with wall coverage? Will they uniformly cover the back wall? Only good at bottom? Top?
2. Any concern with them leaving the wall assuming no aquascaping touches the wall?
3. Anyone have pictures with a clove polyps wall?

sp1187

bird flu antidote
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
the different cloves I've had spread by runners, gsp and blue sympodium carpet grow. not sure of the coverage you would get with the cloves.

Kate Vellis

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Anyone else? I’m curious about this thinking of trying it.
I want to do GSP on the back wall, and I love the idea of clove polyps on the back wall as well. I may just try gluing a frag on in a clear spot and see if they will walk into the coralline algae around it.

kylebeano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had them take over an overflow, grew all the way to the grates and some into it! Looked amazing, but most of them perished when I had to take the tank down.

20170624_163613.jpg

kylebeano

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Any issues with them leaving the wall for other areas?
Not really, they generally just followed flow and light, moving upwards along the box. I had xenia and other corals also along the back glass which helped isolate them as well.
I started them on a big patch of coraline algae, they preferred it as their base, so if you scrape the coraline in certain areas, it could help keep them from spreading too fast/far.

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on your goals.
in a softy reef some people really want them and in an sps tank they're often an unwanted hitchhiker. similar issue as gsp in that they both can grow quickly onto places you didn't intend.

OP
OP
arking_mark

arking_mark

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
depends on your goals.
in a softy reef some people really want them and in an sps tank they're often an unwanted hitchhiker. similar issue as gsp in that they both can grow quickly onto places you didn't intend.
GSP won't leave the back wall because of the way they spread, assuming the back wall isn't touching any other aquascaping.

I am asking if the same is true for clove polyps. I haven't found definitive info for that.

Back