Clowfish fins deteriorating (Canada fish medication ban)

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi all,

I just noticed an issue with one of my clowns and I'm not sure what I should do.

I've had the tank for about 2 years and the clowns were my first fish. No new addition for the past 4-5 months.
One of the clown has really bad fin damage. Its anal fin is essentially all gone and the caudal fin started to deteriorate.

No other fish have any other symptoms. The clowns have been paired since day one and show no signs of aggression towards one another.
I see no other signs of parasites such as ich or velvet.

I've noticed my purple tang display some aggressive behavior. I wonder if he would be the culprit.

Most importantly I'm wondering what to do at this point. Should I isolate him in a box or QT? If so, alone or with my other clown?

Theres a medication ban in canada at the moment so most meds are not available to me (which is a pain....)
I have left over Sulfaplex, polygard and paraguard. Melafix and pimafix are still available OTC.

Any advice would be appreciated. I hope I don't lose it!! :(

Untitled copy.png IMG_3889.jpg copy 2.png

Gareth elliott

Read, Tinker, Fail, Learn
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
First id probably try to remove the tang to a separate tank at least till the clown heals.
I dont see any signs of infection which is good.
Next i would try to bulk up the clowns own immune response through diet and clean water.
Some foods to look at
Selcon additive for vitamin c. Fish like primates do not make their own like most animals.
Frozen krill, dice up for clowns, whole just tends to sink. High in cystine and several vitamins.

Diced up Fish or oysters a little goes a long way with fish food lol) but high in selenium.
You can also add some fish oil, few drops.

OP
OP
E

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for the advice everyone!

I use Aquaforest Garlic oil on their food but I can try to pick up some selcon as well.

I'm torn between
a) QTing the clown fish
b) Removing the tang
c) Status quo and monitor.

Ultimately, although it might be an unpopular opinion the tang is the fish I would let go if I had to pick one. He's often hidden and seems to be picking up bully habits.

It will be a challenge to take him out but I'm strongly considering it.

OP
OP
E

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've moved some rocks around as the Tangs hidding spot was right by the clowns elegance and the tang seems to have lost interest in them.

That being said, the clown is not eating tonight. :confused:

Jadieco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? QT the tang or clowns or did everything sort itself out?

OP
OP
E

Eackone

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What did you end up doing? QT the tang or clowns or did everything sort itself out?

I QTed the clown to give melafix a shot but he didn't make it unfortunately.

Oddly enough, the purple tang then started to take his aggression on a wrasse so I got him out.

Jadieco

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Oddly enough, the purple tang then started to take his aggression on a wrasse so I got him out.
Aww sorry to hear.

RobertTheNurse

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Sorry to hear about your clown. Recent hobbyist and already lost a clown. I was quick to learn at this time, there is little hope for treating infection/disease or the such. I was just reading your thread, any new ways on how to treat future infections with this ban going on?

I'm gonna be setting up a quarantine tank, but reading that most people treat with meds prior to putting in display tank. With little or nowhere to turn to (my vets all say to me they have no idea) the only method I have read to use when getting new fish is hyposalinity and a freshwater dip.

Rob

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 57 39.6%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 33 22.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 49 34.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.5%
Back