Fin rot?

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Does this look like fin rot? The pectoral fin tear appeared overnight and i just noticed the tail today.

This is a very new tank started in December, cycled, used rodi water. I am dealing with a bacteria bloom.

I also have a hefty thinstripe crab and im wondering if hes the culprit.

Also a clown as a tank mate but they get along great- no aggression whatsoever that I have seen.

464808FC-EC00-4860-9506-8C0433CBAEA1.jpeg

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Does this look like fin rot? The pectoral fin tear appeared overnight and i just noticed the tail today.

This is a very new tank started in December, cycled, used rodi water. I am dealing with a bacteria bloom.

I also have a hefty thinstripe crab and im wondering if hes the culprit.

Also a clown as a tank mate but they get along great- no aggression whatsoever that I have seen.

464808FC-EC00-4860-9506-8C0433CBAEA1.jpeg
This is a tail split from aggression and should heal back as long as culprit leaves it alone.
Have you noticed any of the tank mates getting too close or harassing it? If not, you can set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be
The side fin has a little bacteria going on and can be cured simply with good quality water or addition of Ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe

OP
OP
Keko21

Keko21

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
This is a tail split from aggression and should heal back as long as culprit leaves it alone.
Have you noticed any of the tank mates getting too close or harassing it? If not, you can set your cell phone on video mode for about 40 mins and drop a little food and walk away - YOU MUST walk away as they know youre there. Often the aggressor is a bully at feeding time.
Review the video and see who it may be
The side fin has a little bacteria going on and can be cured simply with good quality water or addition of Ruby Rally Pro which is reef safe
Thanks @vetteguy53081 ! Like i said i am dealing with a bacterial bloom currently is that a concern while he is healing?

I haven’t seen any aggression the only inhabitants are him, the clown, the crabs and some sexy shrimp. My suspicion is the big crab since they look like linear slits vs bites from a fish.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
Thanks @vetteguy53081 ! Like i said i am dealing with a bacterial bloom currently is that a concern while he is healing?

I haven’t seen any aggression the only inhabitants are him, the clown, the crabs and some sexy shrimp. My suspicion is the big crab since they look like linear slits vs bites from a fish.
Crab or clown would be candidates

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 135 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.9%
Back