Clown finally decides to host...

Argent

Nano-Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
my slowly starving RBTA :(

First off let me preface this photo by saying - yes I understand my RBTA is starving and that's why it looks like that - I am in the process of trying to bring it back to healthy
Now after hitting the Howell Balloonfest - I came home, checked on my tank and found my maroon trying to snuggle my poor starving RBTA :(
clown_hosts_nem01.jpg

I am so happy - yet sad at the same time and really hope my nem can turn around - the clown hasn't paid it any attention until last night.

I tried feeding pieces of thawed prime reef cubes and mysis today but it wasn't eating :( I'm at a loss now - my last resort I guess it to try and find some silversides and see if it will eat that.

Ike

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sadly, the clownfish hosting is just going to contribute to the demise of the anemone :(

OP
OP
A

Argent

Nano-Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
that's what I'm afraid of - stupid clown's been in the tank with it for 2+ weeks and just when I figure out how to help my nem - she decides to start hosting in it :(

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Cover the anemone with like a strawberry carton or something where it can get light and the clown cant get to it.

What are the nitrates in your tank?

gflat65

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
How old is your lighting, too? I've noticed beneficial relationships between clowns and anemones (the anemones seems more alive sometimes when it has a buddy or two in it daily). Your anemone still has color, so it isn't too bad off. All they need is light. They will eat and get big (and split in most cases), but I quit feeding mine well over a year ago (started by trying to force clones, then just had too freakin many of them-no food for you). I lost a lot in a recent move, but still have to GBTA's;).

Check lighting and make sure you have fresh-ish bulbs (and enough light-I know BTA's are supposed to be low light anemones, but mine seem to like it higher than lower-not necessarily direct, but more). Good luck.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
If your anemone is in bad health the clown will cause it to get worse. Those need to be seperated first imo.

Nikon_Guy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I concur, I lost one that way a bit over a year ago. It wasn't doing well and the clowns finished the job on it by kind of beating it to death.

I also think that as a general rule of thumb an anemone should be at least twice as big as a clown to handle hosting well. Larger if there is a pair.

I think the strawberry basket is a great solution to your imediate problem.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I agree about the anemone size and clowns as well Bryce.

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also you never said what your nitrates were....

ecotoxlady

Perpetual student
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm surprised you haven't tried silversides. When I had an RBTA (when my 72 was set up), it ate silversides like a pig. I agree that for now you must keep the clown away from the anemone. Give the silversides a try and let us know how that goes :)

OP
OP
A

Argent

Nano-Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
alright -

96w Power Compacts for lights (bulbs were just changed within 2-3 months)

and I just did some water tests...

pH - 8.0
NH - 0
NO2 - .25
N03 - 20

And that's after I did a water change yesterday.....

msman825

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a RBTA, had it under pc's and it hated them, mine loves real bright light, you might have answered your problems in your above post. try moving the rock and it really high. I would suggest. I dont like comenting on things like this. very sorry . I just like too have lost mine cause poor light. G/Luck

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Yep that I would say is the first part of the problem. Anemone's cant stand even the smallest amount of trites and trates.

OP
OP
A

Argent

Nano-Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ah HA!

My nem has a taste for regular people shrimp - she ate two pieces tonight (much to the happiness of my cats who got to eat the rest of the shrimp)

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 24.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 43 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.7%
Back